[NAGDU] Tapering off clicker

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Thu Aug 4 15:38:56 UTC 2016

Tracy,

It really depends on the dog and how many repetitions he needs for the
behavior to become automatic without needing the reward. If you start
skipping the reward and he reverts, then you need to go back to more
frequent rewards for awhile and try phasing them out later.

I like to randomize the treats associated with the click, so then I can
use the click alone to reinforce working behaviors. Others always give a
treat with the click, but it's awkward for me when we're moving, so I
like being able to use the click alone, then offer a treat when we're
standing still. I use the treats with the click almost always in our
at-home obedience session to keep the treats associated with the click.
This way works well for me since my poodles aren't all that food
motivated but need a lot of cheerleading. It might not work as well with
a really food-motivated dog who is more interested in the treat than the
accomplishment.

Anyway, there's no set time limit or number of repetitions or magical
frequency, I'm afraid. When you start reducing the frequency of the
reward, go gradually and see if the dog is still consistently offering
up the desired behavior. After he's done that for awhile, try reducing
the frequency a bit more -- say, from every other time to every third
time -- and see what happens. It might help to throw a party when he's
done two crossings without the reinforcement, since that's the most
exciting thing he's ever done. If he's not impressed by that sort of
thing, never mind, you'll just look silly. /lol/ The poodles love to
impress and like it when I acknowledge that everything they do is super
awesome and amazing. Yay! When I go ga-ga over something Zay does, she
just gives me the "so where's my treat?" look. Food is all the
validation she needs. So it really just depends on the dog, what
motivates it and how it learns.

Glad you're making progress!

Tami