[NAGDU] Harness handles

Buddy Brannan buddy at brannan.name
Wed Aug 10 22:48:43 UTC 2016

I kind of don't think I'd like leash clips, aka a bolt snap, myself. Circle E will make you a handle with whatever kind of clip you like (if he has it anyway). I would recommend not getting panic snaps. Panic snaps are the sort of snap that has a catch that you slide backwards, and the hook sort of swings open. I gather some places use them effectively, but here's what happened with my handle that had them. As the handle rubbed against something, my guess is the harness strap itself, some back and forth action would push the clip just enough to open the catch, thus releasing the hook from its locked position. The only thing holding it to the D-ring at that point was gravity. This would happen on one side or the other and became a bit awkward.

The way thatArnie puts these on is that he has them set up to screw in, so the handle shafts are threaded, with threads on the inside of the end of the snap to match. So I thought, maybe if I changed the angle of the snap slightly, it would help. Well...I sort of overtightened one of them and stripped it or, anyway, it didn't stay on, and spun freely on the handle shaft. So my handle is back at Circle E, or will b by tomorrow, for clip replacements. I took the opportunity to ask Arnie to use something else. My inclination is for a trigger snap, the sort of thing that, like a carabiner, you have to squeeze to open. My rationale is that the action to open something like that is perpendicular to the direction the harness handle would move, thus making a random disconnection a bit more unlikely. But I agree--I really like having a removable handle. And yes, Circle E will make you one. He uses aircraft grade aluminium and does nice work.
http://www.circle-e-leather.com

Best to call and talk to him, his site has lots of PDF's and lots of pictures and is a bit short on description,  but he's super to talk to.

--
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV - Erie, PA
Phone: 814-860-3194
Email: buddy at brannan.name