[NAGDU] Uber access and regular taxi access

Buddy Brannan buddy at brannan.name
Thu Aug 11 15:10:58 UTC 2016

Dan,

you're right on all counts. As I said, I'm not justifying the denials, or even saying that we shouldn't address it because taxis are worse. No...not saying "Taxis are worse, so be happy". I believe that we're right to get ahead of the curve on this. The settlement, when it goes into effect, will go a long way to doing that. I really can't think of any aspect that the settlement overlooks. Moreover, hopefully other ride share companies, and maybe even taxi companies, will see the settlement and, seeing it sets a precedent, will implement similar remedies so as not to be the next to get smacked. One can hope, anyway. For all the crying the taxi companies are doing about how Uber, Lyft, and their like are taking business away from them and circumventing taxi regulations and all the rest, I somehow can't work up any sympathy for them.

Certainly Uber isn't blameless. I have to admire their spin job for how they use the built-in accessibility features of iPhones and Android and call them their innovation. They do get points for actually using what's there, because not everyone does. And, regardless of why they're starting to put out there that they expect drivers to follow the law and allthe rest, I'm happy they're doing it, even if they were sort of kicking and screaming the whole way to doing it.

--
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV - Erie, PA
Phone: 814-860-3194
Email: buddy at brannan.name