[NAGDU] O&M Programs at Leader Dogs and Pilot Dogs

David david at bakerinet.com
Wed Aug 17 11:59:11 UTC 2016

Dear Lisa, I have RP, cannot see at night and have a very narrow field
during the day.  I took Leader's Accelerated Mobility Program (AMP)
almost 3 years ago in preparation for applying for a guide dog.  LDB is
located in what is now a lovely suburb of Detroit.  I had used a cane
for more than 17 years, but learned a lot during the program.  The
facility is lovely.  You get to go out with a dog for a session if you
want to.  They take you through traffic, different terrain, malls, and
into shops.  The emphasis is on skills, offering tips to improve your
cane use, and navigation.  While blindfold sessions are not required, I
strongly recommend asking for a session or two of blindfold training.
That was the most wonderful part of the training for me.  There is so
much information out there that you just don't pay attention to. It's
hard to describe, but the blindfold sessions were extremely valuable for
me emotionally.  You are as close to LDB as an airport.  Transportation
is free and LDB makes all of the arrangements.  Your room will be simple
and clean and the food is good.  The wifi connection is excellent.  You
will be picked up by a volunteer and taken to their lovely facility.  A
volunteer will take you back to the airport for your trip home.

Whichever program you choose, or chooses you, best of luck.  You won't
regret the effort.

David and Claire Rose in Clearwater, FL