[NAGDU] Bad Dog Breath

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Thu Aug 18 13:15:34 UTC 2016

It might not be her teeth at all, but the air she is exhaling.  So,
example...think of a time when you ate a meal with loads of garlic and
onion.  Your breath smelled pungent, so you brushed your teeth, a lot.
Still your breath smelled bad.  The smell is not in your mouth, but is the
air you are exhaling.  It goes away in a few hours or by the next day.  That
is unless you went really nuts, then you might notice your skin smells like
onions and garlic.  You can wash and it will help, but the only way for the
smell to totally dissipate is to allow the food to completely metabolize.

Going to the vet to have her teeth checked certainly won't hurt and it is
possible that there's an issue there.  If that doesn't turn up anything,
then it's almost certainly a food issue.  If the odor bothers you, consider
switching to a less strong smelling variety.  If the breath thing is just a
minor issue and she's otherwise doing well on the food, I'd personally leave
well enough alone.

I've fed fish based dog food in the past.  The dogs loved it and did really
well on it.  I, however, about gagged every time I opened the bag.  I am not
a fan of fish, at all.

My new life motto: Do what works, change the rest!
Julie
Courage to Dare: A Blind Woman's Quest to Train her Own Guide Dog is now
available! Get the book here:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QXZSMOC