[NAGDU] leader dog for the blind denile

Andy B. sonfire11 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 16:26:01 UTC 2016

I have a good example of why knowing the streets around you will get you out of trouble. We live in an apartment building that is located on a residential street. Unfortunately, the street opens up into a wide parking lot where our apartment building is located. Down the parking lot and off to the side is the dumpster for the garbage. Sometimes getting lost is easy, other times it is simple to get back to the apartment building. Some of it depends on where the truck put the dumpster. A foot or so off and you end up walking down the street instead of finding the dumpster.
One day, I ended up walking down the maze of streets I never walked down before. When I found someone that could help, I asked what street I was on and if my reference street was located a few streets to the left. He gave me the street name we were on and confirmed my guess on the reference street. Even though I never walked these back streets before, I found my way out of the problem because I at least knew the names and were my reference street was located. So, even if you have no point of familiarity, knowing the street names is useful.