[NAGDU] {Spam?} Re: Alone At Home

Rachel Grider rachel.grider at gmail.com
Sat Aug 20 19:59:52 UTC 2016

I am still really new at this, but I left my dog in my hotel room just
for about thirty minutes when I went swimming. At the Eye, they told
us that it is good to leave your dog for short periods of time once in
awhile so that on occasions when you do need to leave them home, it
will not be so hard for you or your dog. I left her in her kennel with
one NylaBone, and I took her collar off (probably just me being
paranoid but doesn't hurt). I didn't make a huge deal before leaving;
I simply patted her head, closed up her kennel, picked up my things,
and left. I stayed outside the room for about ten minutes to listen,
just in case she started crying or barking. When I came back, I took
my time before opening her kennel (which wasn't easy); we were told at
the Eye not to make a bit deal out of leaving or coming back. Demi did
just fine. She was happy to see me, but I am pretty sure that she had
been asleep the whole time I was gone. I think it helped that we had
walked about three miles that day, so she was tired...

I think if you are going to leave your dog for five hours, you should
definitely practice leaving for shorter periods of time first. Maybe
run to the store and back, or go out for an hour. You can have a
neighbor listen outside periodically and report to you if your dog
makes noise while your gone. If you have a kennel, I would highly
recommend leaving your dog in it instead of loose in the house,
though, especially if it is a younger dog.