[NAGDU] {Spam?} Anther Harley tail/brad

Wayne & Harley k9dad at k9di.org
Sun Aug 21 17:24:47 UTC 2016

*Hello Everyone,
**I have another Harley tail/brag to share.
Last month I needed to go to the Social Security Office in one of the
Federal Buildings in Chicago.
Well, it turns out there's two of them right across the street from each
other and just my luck I didn't know that I'd entered the wrong one
until after Harley and I had gone through the security checkpoint. As
per directions I'd emptied all my pockets and removed my belt to have
them run through the scanners. Here's part of why I'm so PROUD of
Harley. I placed him in a sit-stay, dropped the leash and walked through
the scanners without setting the off. The  Officers told me afterwards
that Harley had his eyes locked on me the whole time. Harley didn't move
a muscle until I called him. He came arrowing through the scanners,
setting them off, of course, cos of the metal on his harness and
collars. He came trotting over, went around behind me,  from my right
planted his bum in a sit near my left leg and nosed my hand to let me
know that he was there. As you might guess, dropping Harley's leash in
public is an event that is rarer than hen's teeth. In fact, If I'm
traveling with someone, I'll ask them to hold Harley while I go through,
or have them go through first and have Harley go to them, but this day
Harley and I were flying solo  We exited he building and crossed the
street to the correct one. When we went through the security checkpoint
at the right building and if anything Harley was even more determined
and focused the second time.  His nose nudge on my left hand was more
emphatic. At the second checkpoint the officers tried to run a wand over
him cos of the detector going off, plus it gave them a sneaky chance to
rub on him. Well, of course, Harley being Harley, he tried keeping his
nose on the wand. He was like, what is that and what in blazes do you
think you're going to do with it?
We've worked on off leash recall a bit, in secured areas of course, but
rarely do I attempt it in an unsecured area like a strange building.
Yes, I've had nightmares of what could happen if he got away from me,
but don't all Guide Dog Owners have those from time to time?
Working with Harley has taught me to learn to trust my abilities, and my
dog. However, I guarantee that a solid Off leash recall will be taught
to his successor from the very get-go.
I owe tons of thanks to my wife, Jewel Blanche, Tom McMahan and many
others in the Owner Training world that encouraged me and helped me
reach the point that I am at in my Owner Training Journey.

Cheers,

Wayne And Harley ( AKA the Tank )*

---