[NAGDU] Reasonable Accommodation was: Preferential Treatment was: Blanket Persception Against Advance Notice

Michael Hingson mike at michaelhingson.com
Sat Dec 3 01:50:11 UTC 2016

Hi all,

I am enjoying reading this thread as it discusses some very important issues on which we all should ponder. I want to discuss the "reasonable accommodation" portion.

Sandra says, "I am always very grateful when the airline moves me t a better seat.  That is much better than my dog being squished in a tight place and the passenger sitting next to me complaining about having to be near a dog.  I consider that a reasonable accommodation." Actually, such is NOT a reasonable accommodation at all under the law. A reasonable accommodation is assistance or changes to a position or workplace that will enable an employee to do his or her job despite having a disability. This is an ADA oriented definition, but it will serve. We as guide dog users have proven time and time again that our dogs can be "squished" into tight places. In fact, I regularly travel as most of you know. I often do NOT get the joy of sitting in first or business class. I back my dog into my seating row and under the seat in front of me. I know of 100-pound guide dogs that are trained to do the same thing. There is lots of room under the seats in front of us and most guides will fit there.

If an airline offers any of us a wider seat or a seat in an higher class of service we can choose to accept that offer or not, but it is not a "reasonable accommodation". Rather, it is either a nice consideration by the airline or it can be considered as preferential treatment as such offers are not typically made to other passengers who also might benefit from the offer such as an over-weight person. I have no problem considering an upgrade offer since I am like anyone else in that I like what an higher class offers me, but I do NOT need to move simply because of my guide dog. Moving because of my guide sets a bad precedent and conveys the message that our dogs really cannot fit in the more confining rows which can and has led to some airline personnel making the assumption that if a more roomy seat is not available then the airline people can try to bump us.

I do pre-board for the same reasons that Buddy, Sandra and others have expressed. I pre-board not for my dog ,but rather to make life easier for the passengers who will come behind me. I make it a point when accepting pre-boarding to state for anyone nearby to hear that I know pre-boarding will get us all out of the gate faster and that I want to make life as convenient as possible for everyone else.

I also refuse to sit in a bulkhead row. Most of the time agents want to stick me and Africa there, and I have to have a discussion with them. Of course, they want to "give the dog as much room as possible". I point out that the bulkhead rows are the most dangerous and unsafe rows on the airplane for guide dogs. In the bulkhead row there is nothing to restrain the dog should we be subjected to turbulents. We all have heard of incidents this year where someone was not wearing their seatbelt or was standing in the aisle when the aircraft bounced around due to unexpected turbulents. Injuries occurred. Our guides are no different than these unrestrained passengers if we permit our dogs to be in bulkhead rows. With proper training our dogs will go under the space under the seats in front of us and they will, in fact, usually feel more secure.

This Friday I will be flying to Miami. As usual I will be flying in coach unless I get upgraded. Upgrades will probably not come unless my upgrade request goes through. I am a frequent flyer and I always put in upgrade requests simply because upgrades are given to frequent flyers if seating is available. I will most likely have to suffer in coach, but I will bring on my own food and feast while others eat the stale sandwiches provided for a fee by the airlines. Africa will be quite happy in coach, but like me will enjoy the upgrade should it come. Our upgrade will, however, not come because of the dog, but rather only if our position on the upgrade list is high enough. I ask for your prayers for an upgrade, but if upgrades do not come fear not. We shall b happy anyway.

Best Regards,

Michael Hingson

The Michael Hingson Group, INC.
"Speaking with Vision"
Michael Hingson, President
(415) 827-4084
info at michaelhingson.com
To order Michael Hingson's new book, Running With Roselle, and check on Michael Hingson's speaking availability for your next event please visit:
www.michaelhingson.com

To purchase your own portrait of Roselle painted by the world's foremost animal artist, Ron Burns, please visit http://www.ronburns.com/roselle