[NAGDU] Airlines/preboarding

Sonja O sohldag at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 6 11:24:53 UTC 2016

I second this, Marion.
I also feel much more comfortable and safer with chief under the seat in front of me.
He does, too.
My past dogs and him just curl up and sleep through the flights.

Best, Sonja and Chief :)

On Dec 6, 2016, at 1:59 AM, NAGDU President via NAGDU <nagdu at nfbnet.org<mailto:nagdu at nfbnet.org>> wrote:

Jessica,

   I, too, am part of a two-dog family. Actually we are currently a
four-dog family, as we have my wife's retired guide dog and our daughter and
granddaughter, along with their dog,  are currently living with us while
their home is being built. When Merry and I travel by airline, we preboard,
as well. I believe this is respectful of other passengers, as getting our
dogs situated, especially my little boy, takes some time.

   I would like to address the bulkhead issue for everyone's
consideration. I know we have gone through this before, but it deserves
repeating. About a year ago, there was a story about a toddler sitting on
its parents lap when the airplane encountered severe turbulence. The child
was thrown from the parent's lap and was injured. Consider the fact that
there is no restraint for a dog lying in the bulkhead as there would be if
the dog were under the seat. Also, my little boy is about 42" long, 30" at
the shoulders, and weighs in at 110 lbs. When he sits on the floor in front
of me, I have no room for my 34" legs! Furthermore, if we were to encounter
the type of turbulence experience by the aforementioned toddler, I would not
want my 110-pound dog to become a missile in the cabin. I know we want our
dogs to be comfortable; however, my dog and I are just as comfortable under
the seat in front of me - even more comfortable than in the bulkhead - while
being much safer for him and other passengers. BTW, I find seat belts rather
uncomfortable, as well, but I wear them nonetheless!

   I realize the choice of seating is a personal preference; however, I
will continue to urge those with service dogs to consider making the safer
choice!

Fraternally yours,

Marion Gwizdala, President
National Association of Guide Dog Users Inc. (NAGDU)
National Federation of the Blind
(813) 626-2789
President at NAGDU.ORG<mailto:President at NAGDU.ORG>

expectations because low expectations create barriers between blind  people
and our dreams. You can live the life you want! Blindness is not what holds
you back.