[NAGDU] Hiking with your guide dog

Danielle Sykora dsykora29 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 17:31:15 UTC 2016

I've been hiking with my dog many times. He adjusted to the uneven
terrain extremely well. It's probably going to take your dog a little
while to figure out exactly what he does and doesn't need to stop and
show you. Thai walks over most of the smaller roots and rocks at a
normal speed but will stop or slow down if the obstacle is large
enough that it resembles a step. He also tends to have a strong pull
because he loves hiking so much, and I find this to be great
counterbalance on the uneven surface. I usually try to stay more
toward the front if I'm in a group because Thai does better looking
out for overhead obstacles if he doesn't think he's following someone.
Other than that though, I don't find that I need any special
preparations for a hike.

Danielle and Thai, who always suggests taking the trail that leads to water