[NAGDU] Boarding buses.

S L Johnson SLJohnson25 at comcast.net
Fri Feb 26 15:53:44 UTC 2016

Deanna,

The process you describe sounds like the way some schools teach the students
on class to get into the vans.  When taking a van, I work my dog up to the
van, let the dog get up into the van and then I get myself in.  This is
opposite from what the schools teach but, I have a good reason for this.  I
once had a dog seriously injured when I was getting into a van the way the
schools teach.  As I was getting myself settled on the seat, Cinnamon was
sitting quietly on the curb in front of my apartment building.  Suddenly a
boy racing along the sidewalk on a skateboard slammed into Cinnamon knocking
her off the curb onto the driveway under the van.  She sustained cuts,
bruises and a serious ACL injury to her right knee.  This incident also left
her afraid of anything on wheels coming too close to us.  She also developed
anxiety if we had to stand on the sidewalk for our ride to show up.It took a
lot of careful training with positive rewards to get her to be less stressed
out.  The knee never completely healed and resulted in chronic stiffness,
swelling and pain.  This injury resulted in her early retirement.  So, as
you can see, I will never get into a car, van or bus first and leave my dog
alone outside where she could be hurt.      I do the same thing when getting
in a car.  I let the dog guide me up to the car door, open the door and have
the dog get in and sit on the floor.  Then I get myself in and shut the
door.  When getting out, I always get out first and then have the dog get
out.  I always work my dog on and off a bus.

Sandra and Eva