[NAGDU] frisbees

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Sun Jan 10 16:04:41 UTC 2016

Monty loves to play frisbee!  We've been through a lot of them.  Here's what
I've discovered.

The cheap plastic ones available in the dollar store or given as free
promotional items are a brittle plastic.  They break easily and the pieces
can be sharp.

The higher quality ones sometimes in the toy section or the sporting goods
section are better.  They won't break as easily.  However over time the
dog's teeth will make little indentations around the edge.  These can be
sharp.   Monty's mouth would get tiny cuts from the rough edge and caused a
bit of bleeding, not serious, but enough that I threw that frisbee away and
continued the hunt for a better option.

Next was one made by Dogzilla.  It's pretty good.  Durable, but softer
plastic that doesn't get as sharp.  Still over time it got chewed up because
of the softer material.

We finally found a keeper.  It's made by Kong  It's a much softer, sort of
rubbery material.  It's not the same rubber as the traditional Kong toys,
but similar.  We've had it for a couple of years now and there aren't any
permanent teeth marks.  I don't let him have it outside of the times when
I'm throwing it for him.   Probably it could be chewed up if a dog just laid
down and chewed on it like a chew toy.  The only downside to the Kong disc
is that it's not rigid, it's floppy, and it's harder to throw.  I'm not a
very good frisbee thrower to begin with so your mileage may vary.  I can
only get this one to fly perhaps 30 feet or so, which is honestly fine
because my yard isn't all that big.

So there you have it!  My big fat flying disc review! *smile*

Julie