[NAGDU] Where to find Bells for Dog Collars?

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Thu Jan 14 14:29:47 UTC 2016

Three places I've purchased them are: craft store, Christmas section in
someplace like Wal-Mart and the farm store.  The big craft stores like Hobby
Lobby have them year around.  Generally they come in kind of large
quantities though.  I bought them for my son's shoes when he was little and
I think the package had enough for two dozen pairs of shoes.

The Christmas section is of course seasonal.  You might still be able to get
them in a clearance Christmas aisle.  This is kind of hit or miss and the
size varies a lot.  This is how I bought the bells on the back door.

We don't have a pet store.  the closest thing is the farm store that has a
dog section.  Anyway I found three small bells meant for collars there.
Each came on a split ring, which is a key ring thing where you pry the end
up and slide it onto a ring and then twist it around so that it slides the
rest of the way on.  I'm not explaining that very well.

I think split rings are the sturdiest and easiest way to attach bells.  It
would kind of be a pain to take them off and on a lot though.  So I had a
separate collar with the bells that I used at home.  It was much easier to
take the collar off and on than it was to remove the bells.

I strongly prefer the round bells with the loose metal ball inside.  These
are louder and jingle more consistently.  The squarish bells with the
flapper thing inside are quieter and don't always jingle depending on how
stealthy the dog is moving.

HTH
Julie
Courage to Dare: A Blind Woman's Quest to Train her Own Guide Dog is now
available! Get the book here:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QXZSMOC