[NAGDU] Applying for first guide dog

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Fri Jan 15 16:25:20 UTC 2016

It is possible to make an application, get accepted, and ask that your
application be held until a time that works for you.  TSE, for instance,
will hold an app for up to a year.
So you could apply now.  If you get a job offer, you might be able to get in
the dog training before you start, if you're all set with the paperwork.  It
might not work so well to ask for time off right away, if you start a new
job.
If it's a temporary job, and you'll be headed back to school in a year, you
could fit in the dog training between leaving the job and restarting school.

After college, it took me a while to find work, and then often it was
temporary work.  There was plenty for my dog to do, running around looking
for work, going for interviews, working, and having a social life.  Really,
she had a more varied life than the dogs I'd had once I got regular,
full-time work.  In fact, she got so she'd walk into a strange office
building and spot the reception desk and take me there.  Good girl!
Tracy