[NAGDU] General Winter

Nimer Jaber nimerjaber1 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 06:33:56 UTC 2016

Hi all,

This is directed at anyone that lives in extreme cold and snow, or
anyone else that might be able to help with General Winter.  I love
being outdoors, and unfortunately I am feeling limited by my dog living
here in Duluth, MN.  While this year has had mostly warmer temperatures,
we are beginning to get cold... and my dog hates it. Schools and work
places almost never shut down.  And even though I could stay inside more
and I could walk on sky walks, I love being outdoors.  For me, I can put
on some warm mitts, a wind-proof face mask and layers and I stay warm
and toasty... even having to take stuff off at times if I warm up
enough.  I have a jacket for the puppy, and I have the boots that the
school issues, the ones made by ruffwear.  My first problem is that the
boots do not keep water and snow out adequately.  And, when walking out
for longer periods, the boots irritate the dog's paws because I have to
tighten them enough to keep them on if I step on them or in deep snow.
I have started to use some musher's secret, but sometimes her paws still
get irritated, especially by jagged pieces of ice.  So, does anyone have
recommendations for some paw protection that might be adequate for
extreme conditions?  Price is not an issue.

My next issue is the extreme cold.  When we get to below zero, I try to
limit our exposure outside, but mostly for the dog, not for me. Her coat
covers her from back to front, including her belly, but her tail, nose
and ears are still open to frost bight.  For any of you that have dealt
with this cold, what have you done to minimize this risk of frost bight
in these areas without telling me to avoid being outside?

Thanks, and I hope somebody has a few answers. Here's hoping that you
all are well.

Nimer J