[NAGDU] How to get break a dog in a Blizzard?

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Sat Jan 23 04:59:03 UTC 2016

Janice,

I am hoping the best for all of you facing the extreme weather. Yikes!

So, poodles... I'm on my 2nd poodle, which must mean I adore the silly
creatures as much as I think I do, but, honestly! They're pains when it
comes to eating, and also when it comes to the other end of the
digestive cycle. If I weren't waiting for the poodles to finish eating
or to finish getting rid of what they ate awhile ago, what would I do? /lol/

Anyway, I don't know your poodle personally, so the best advice I can
give you is to remember that poodles may not do what you tell them to,
but they will always do what you want them to, if it makes you happy.
Also, if things are out of sorts or off schedule, they may get a little
wiggy, especially in the digestive system, so you just have to be extra
patient, especially early on. Then, when your poodle finally does the
deed at curb, as you need it to, be really happy about it. If you're
like me, you'll be more relieved than the poodle, so your happiness will
be genuine. /lol/ Acting out your giddy joy that your dog did what is
only natural will pay off, even if you feel like an idiot at the time.
If your dog was trained to go at the curb beforehand, that should help,
but I still strongly recommend giddy praise and joy when your poodle
does what needs doing so you can get back in out of the weather ASAP.

Playing as energetically as you can indoors beforehand can also help get
thing stimulated. In normal circumstances, both of my poodles seem to
need to do more sniffing and running and general poodling than my
husband's mutt even when they assure me they really, really need to go.
I had hopes that Loki would be more like a normal dog in both eating and
eliminating, but as he's gotten close to adulthood, he's gotten to be
more like a poodle. Sigh.

I don't envy you having extreme weather while settling in a new dog, or
even not settling in a new dog. I can only tell you that in my
experience with the same breed, that they will eventually get around to
doing what they need to do in the places you need them to. By that
point, you will be overjoyed and can show it, and after that, you are
golden because they will repeat the process just because it makes you so
happy. If you're like me, you may experience digestive upset worrying
about it all before the dog gets to it, especially when things are out
of order, off kilter, not on schedule, or whatever. I guess German
Sheperds can be that way, too, or at least not eat when traveling or
when things are out of whack. The best you can do is the best you can
do. Provide food on schedule, as well as water if you don't leave it out
all the time (we do, unless traveling). Provide regular opportunity for
the dog to go and be aware of subtle signals that it needs to if life is
out of whack. Teaching a verbal cue is easy (we use the undignified "go
potty") is easy, if you just say "go potty" (or whatever) while the dog
is going, then gush "*good* go potty!!!!" a few times. After that, I can
reinforce by muttering under my breath to avoid the indignity of it all.
/lol/ Sorry I can't remember offhand which school your dog is from, but
I think they each have general commands for that, from "do business" to
"park" or whatever. If your dog already knows a command for that, it
should help to tell it what you want it to do when you go to the curb
for that.

Oh, and if it's cold out, it is useful teaching to go on command and
quickly when the poodle has just been shaved down. This winter, over
here, we've had surprise cold snaps right after grooming of one or the
other poodle. I then feel really guilty when the near-naked poodle has
to go out in real cold, but that doesn't stop me from reinforcing them
from getting down to business in a bigger hurry than usual, as if
they've done something special. /lol/

hth,

Tami