[NAGDU] Loose in the house

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Sun Jan 24 17:13:43 UTC 2016

Hi Chaim.
I saw your post a couple weeks ago about needing to keep your dog confined
because of poor house behavior, and how you hope to give him more freedom
when you move to a new place.
I feel your pain.  Krokus's house behavior was atrocious when I brought him
home.  He chewed on everything, and jumped on counters and tables.  I blame
immaturity, and crate training.  I figured he could never learn proper
behavior if he was always confined, so I only put him in his crate when no
one could watch him.  I kept him on leash or closely supervised for probably
8 months.  It was a pain in the neck, but it has paid off.  He can now be
free in the house, without us always worrying about what he's doing when one
of us isn't there with him.  He still needs close supervision when food is
out, but otherwise he's good.
So there's hope for ill-mannered dogs.  It takes a lot of work, but it does
pay off.
Tracy