[NAGDU] Miss social lite

S L Johnson SLJohnson25 at comcast.net
Sat Jan 30 20:59:52 UTC 2016

Hi Dar:

I also have a Miss Socialite.  Eva is extremely over friendly.  I do extra
obedience with her before we go out to get her mind on work, not play.  Eva
will try to get attention anywhere there are other people.  A doctor's
waiting room, a store full of shoppers or a restaurant full of people  is
her dream come true.  She thinks all people were put on this earth just to
pay attention to her.  When we first got home from class , when Eva was only
14 months old, she would jump on people as we passed them.  It was weird
because I would be walking along and suddenly my hand was going up in the
air while my goofy golden jumped on a person hitting at them with her front
paws.  Of course, I immediately made it clear to her that this behavior was
not appropriate.  Now, at almost 3 years old,  she will still pull toward
people but, most of the time, all four paws stay on the floor.  If she is
too distracted, I put the leash in my right hand so I have a better feel for
where her head is and what she is doing.  Eva seeks out attention by making
eye contact with a person and if that person then moves to pet her, she gets
all bouncy and wiggly.  Then of course, then I have to be the mean old lady
and correct her for not paying attention to her work.  Sometimes she will
suddenly pull off to the right,  left or stop and I think their might be an
obsticle in our way only to find out she is trying to get someone to pay
attention to her.  A few days ago, I was in a large busy medical building
and had told Miss Friendly to find the elevator.  I thought she was on the
way to it but, suddenly she was playing with some people and we were not
anywhere near where we should have been.  Once I got the people to stop
playing with her, it was hard to get her focused on her work.  After a few
minutes of her turning around and wiggling trying to get attention I just
stepped to the side and did a quick little obedience session to get her mind
back on her work.  This kind of behavior always embarrasses me because I
don't want people to think that guide dogs cannot work properly.  It doesn't
help if the people reach out and pet our dogs.  I hate it when I hear them
say they know they shouldn't pet her but, she is so cute they are doing it
anyway.  They talk to her in a silly happy voice which makes her crazier.
Today I was very impressed when I was grocery shopping to hear a few parents
telling their children they could not pet my dog because she was working.
It sure makes it easier when the public respects us and leaves our dogs
alone.

Sandra