[NAGDU] What is the "Touch" Command Used For?

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Mon Jul 4 19:31:40 UTC 2016

Dani,

For me, the "touch" is a really important foundation behavior, so it's
the first thing I teach while I'm teaching the dog to associate a click
with reward. I can then use touch to teach the early versions of just
about anything else. I continue to use it to ensure I have the dog's
attention, to find out where the dog's nose is, to direct the nose and
so forth. It's also handy for teaching find at first. I just put my two
fingers (the hand signal for touch) on the object I want the dog to
learn, then click and treat when the dog touches it. I also use touch a
lot to redirect from sniffing and so forth. Dogs tend naturally to watch
a human's hands to find out what the human wants, so that makes it just
really handy in a lot of situations. Most of my hand signals are
modifications of the signal I use for touch, since the dog's nose
follows those first two fingers.

I also use touch to teach the dogs to show me objects by name and so
forth. It can be a fun game when we're hard up for entertainment and
useful when I drop stuff.

hth,

Tami