[NAGDU] Guide dog schools

Andy B. sonfire11 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 20:35:04 UTC 2016

I have done extensive research on most of the schools out there. However, I
don't want to choose one if it appears to look good but has a bad reputation
with most owners. Here are the answers to the questions asked. Note that I
was approved for a dog at Leader dogs in Michigan. This was in 2003-2004.
However, I never attended because living conditions forced me to move down
state.

what do you want in a school?
Respect and dignity from the staff members. Both for me and the dog. They
must not discount or push aside any of my experiences in life, or lack of
such experience.

How much time can you spend there?
No longer than 4 or 5 weeks.

Would you want to have a home turn over, or do something that was a
combination of going there and returning?
Both at home work and at their campus.

What is their ownership policy, and do you want to own your dog outright or
do you want it to be a rental?
Own it outright.

How far would you want to travel to get the dog?
I want to stay as close to home as possible [Virginia].
What do you want in after graduation support?
Lifetime support with occasional training at home. If possible, financial
support for extreme situations.