[NAGDU] American white shepherd

Jody Ianuzzi thunderwalker321 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 12:57:36 UTC 2016

Hello Dan,

I am loving owner of an American white shepherd. The white shepherd has its roots in the standard German Shepherd. The original breed standard for the German Shepherd did not restrict coat color. Many of the original shepherds were white. The German Shepherd breed was originally established as a working dog with sound temperament and body. The breed was started by William Vons definites in the late 1800s.

In the 1930s the Nazis took over the breed and kicked  out VonStephonitz. They rejected all the whites parentheses kind of ironic parentheses probably because they assumed they were albino.  The whites were all destroyed. The burgers of Switzerland loved the white shepherds. They had a carriage pulled by six white horses and thought the white shepherds look to grand in the carriage. He bread the white shepherd specifically and is known as a burger swiss blanc  in Europe. They were then brought to Canada and then the US.

The German Shepherd dog club still rejects the whites has not meeting their confirmation standards. As a result the white shepherd has gone it's own separate way. Interestingly the standard German Shepherd seems to be getting darker and darker and darker over time with the preference now being for black.

The wonderful thing about the American white shepherd is that they have stayed true to the original breed standard with a flat rather than sloping back sturdy hips and a sound body. Their temperament is extremely mellow since they were never used for guard or police work.  They are intelligent and fast learners.

The American white shepherd breeders have also established the white shepherd genetics project which keeps track of dogs. I think the breeders are much more conscientious then some German Shepherd dog breeders.

JODY 🐺
thunderwalker321 at gmail.com

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes."  DOCTOR WHO (Tom Baker)