[NAGDU] Access for guide dogs in training

Andrew Webb awebb2168 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 04:08:23 UTC 2016

Hello,

Can anyone advise as to the rights of guide dogs in training (and their
handlers) to access places of public accommodation? I am referring to dogs
in the process of being trained and certified as guide dogs, but whose
training has not yet been completed. From the research I have done, it
appears to me that the ADA does not extend rights of access for guide dogs
in training as it does for fully-trained guide dogs. I gather that certain
states have laws granting access to guide dogs in training who are in the
company of certified guide dog trainers, and who can produce certification
to the effect that they are in fact training the dogs for gide dog work. The
state I'm interested in is Illinois, for which I have not found any such
state laws allowing access for guide dogs in training.

Can anyone comment on this?

Thanks,

Andrew