[NAGDU] Golden Retriever Question

Sherry Gomes sherriola at gmail.com
Sun Jun 26 17:52:04 UTC 2016

Back in the nineties, there were a couple darling movies with golden
retrievers as stars, Homeward Bound and Airbud golden receiver. From what I
was told by someone at GDB, for a while, the breed was so overbred, that the
goldens available for quality breeding stock were few and far between. Many
of the goldens had diseases, cancer, serious allergies, and they were not
learning very easily. I can only speak for GDB, but over time they
rehabilitated their goldens and now have a lot more than they did twenty
years ago. When I got my last dog, I knew I needed a special dog, due to
other physical issues, and I told them I'd accept any dog that was  the best
match, but if at all possible I'd love another golden. My first golden was
the easiest dog to handle, the most bonded, the most loving. Though I'd
loved all my labs, I wanted another golden. And I got one. Every week I see
goldens in their lists of dogs in training, so it's happening. They aren't
really stubborn, at least all the goldens I've known, my two and others,
haven't been stubborn at all. But they are definitely different than labs.
My golden doesn't care for food rewards, and it's rather hilarious to me, as
I'm a strong convert and advocate for food rewards! Grin.

Sherry