[NAGDU] Use of treats during training

Sherry Gomes sherriola at gmail.com
Sun Jun 26 17:56:51 UTC 2016

I love food rewards. I'd be happy to paste a copy of an article I wrote for
the ?GDB alumni news here, if anyone would like that. Basically, a dog's
greatest desire and motivator is food. So, the idea behind food rewards is
that we are providing the dogs most desired thing. I don't use it at every
single corner, but I use it a lot. I reward my dog for finding light poles,
which in my neighborhood are in weird places. And she does get a reward for
that every time. I reward her for finding destinations, passing a
distraction, coming home to the right gate, and sometimes, just because
she's doing great. My dog, Petunia, isn't really crazy about food, so I try
to find high value treats, pieces of carrot, tastier dog treats, something
besides just kibble. Also, you subtract the amount you give from your dog's
daily food in their meals, so they don't get overweight.

Sherry