[NAGDU] Vacuum Cleaners

Chaim B. Segal chaimsegal1968 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 01:56:17 UTC 2016

 Hi All:

I hope you get this message okay. It turns out that despite my going on the nfbnet site and making changes to my default E-mail address, it did not work, and I had to contact David Andrews.

Well, I'll try not to ramble. When I moved out into my first apartment 23 years ago, my mother bought me a vacuum, I think it was a Hoover. It worked, but I hated its loud sound. Then, when I moved to Chicago, after living in a transitional housing shelter for a few months, in which I used a Ureka electric broom to vacuum my room to satisfaction, I moved into an apartment building which was built in 1925. The circuitry was archaic! In the summer time, if I had the living room air conditioner on and that loud vacuum simultaneously, I blew the fuse. So, I resorted to just using the electric broom. I did have to replace it, and bought the same model. Upon my return to Dayton, I used Hoover's version of the electric broom for a while, which you could buy a pet hair attachment for. It worked out okay for a while, but I have discovered that the Eureka electric brooms work best. They have a separate setting for floors and carpets, and the filter pops out so you can just empty it out.

Recently, my neighbor who helps me clean, discovered that our upright vacuum, (originally my mother's, so I don't know the brand), is not picking up the pet hair. She is hard to be convinced. After a lot of coaxing, I convinced her to use the Eureka Electric Broom. She is now sold, and it is the only thing she uses to vacuum in our house.

I might try the Dyson pet vacuum some day if I can comfortably afford it. With the exception of our Plextalks, Victor Streams, and Notetakers, I don't like using appliances that run on rechargeable batteries. I have had numerous electric shavers of this type before I decided to keep my beard. My experience has been that even if you run these devices all the way down before charging, eventually the darn things stop working, unless you replace the battery itself. And, when some models are no longer being sold, eventually they stop manufacturing the batteries as well. In fact, one reason I stopped using my i'phone 4s is because supposedly the battery for it is no longer available, even from Batteries Plus.

So, I guess the bottom line is, if you don't want your hearing blown, and want a cheaper alternative to a fancy vacuum, give the Eureka plug-in electric Broom a try.

Thanks!

Chaim