[NAGDU] Those overly social dogs and their signs

Danielle Sykora dsykora29 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 17:48:05 UTC 2016

Thai usually completely ignores random petters when he's working. He
usually just kind of stands there looking straight ahead like the
person doesn't exist. He's reacted to a few people who first engaged
me in conversation before making overly obnoxious petting attempts
complete with eye contact, getting down on the floor, and happy
voices. He asks for attention by sitting in front of you, so just
telling him to stand up or back away lets him know that I didn't
actually give him permission to interact. Occasionally he will quickly
turn his head, almost as if he is momentarily startled, if someone
sneak pets from behind (or that memorable time when someone pulled his
tail) without any warning that he hasn't seen, but that's
understandable for me anyway. He can be a little sniffy and wag a bit
when he sees one of his favorite people, but nothing crazy. Overall,
people aren't really a major distraction for him.
On the other hand, he considers everyone to be his potential new best
friend when he's not working. Particular favorites are greeted with
happy whining and circles of joy while holding a toy.

Bonnie also doesn't seem inclined to seek attention from people while
in jacket. She's even pretty good about ignoring sneak petting
considering she's not quite a year old. Out of jacket, she's friends
with anyone and everyone.

Danielle, Thai, and GDIT Bonnie--the Lab/Goldens