[NAGDU] Scary Situation

S L Johnson SLJohnson25 at comcast.net
Sat Mar 19 00:35:18 UTC 2016

Good Evening:

I had a very scary situation this morning.  I live in a senior housing
development where all the homes are duplexes and they are arranged in a big
oval with homes on both sides of the street.  My house is on the inner part
of the oval so the back door faces the large retention pond.  This morning I
put Eva out on her 30 foot tie-out as I usually do.  I stand in the doorway
as if I am watching her like any sighted person would do.  Her tie-out is
one of the heavy metal cords covered by plastic.  Suddenly she began barking
and came running back to me and pushed past me to get through the door.  I
was shocked to find her tie-out was in two pieces.  I know she didn’t chew
it because the plastic was a perfectly even cut and so was the metal cord
inside.  Now, I ask, who would do this kind of thing?  The problem is, I do
not have any proof so there isn’t anything I can do.  I feel like putting a
burglar alarm on her collar.  My back yard is open so anyone could walk back
there.  The other thing is, obviously the person knew I am blind and could
not see them.  I always stand at the door so people will think I am watching
out for my dog.  Later this morning as I was dragging my trash can back to
the garage, I spoke to a lady across the street.  She wasn’t out that early
but said she was sure someone cut it hoping that Eva would go with them.
Fortunately for me, Eva has a very loud bark and ran right to me.  So, as I
sit here in fear every time Eva wants to be outside, I am thankful she is
here with me.  The sad thing is that Eva loves being out in the yard
watching the ducks birds and all the other action from the pond.  I took her
out on a shorter leash but, it just isn’t the same when she had the freedom
of a 30 foot leash to wander around our large yard.

Sandra and Eva, who always run back to mom