[NAGDU] Pilot Dogs web site

National Association Of Guide Dog Users blind411 at verizon.net
Sun Mar 20 01:06:59 UTC 2016

> On Mar 18, 2016, at 5:58 PM, Sean Moore via NAGDU <nagdu at nfbnet.org> wrote:
>
> Have  you  looked  into  Southeastern  Guide Dogs? maybe you have.
>
> I  got my  second  dog  from  Southeastern  back  in  Augest  2015 and  much  has  Sean,

Are you aware that Southeastern Guide Dogs instituted a policy in January 2o015 requiring mandatory retirement of your guide dog at age 10? I believe this is not only contrary to their ownership policy, since, if you own your dog, how can they mandate such a retirement policy? Furthermore, my last two guide dogs - coincidentally both from SEGDI - worked until they were 12 and 14 respectively. I am certain there are other users on this list who have had guide dogs work until well after their 10th birthday, supporting the arbitrary policy instituted by SEGDI. Also, no other training program has such a mandatory retirement age that I am aware of.

Fraternally yours,
Marion Gwizdala