[NAGDU] something that happened to me today

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Wed Mar 30 13:22:58 UTC 2016

When stuff like this happens to me, I just politely tell the person that the
dog needs to show me or that I'm working on a new skill with her.  I let
them know I appreciate the gesture, but that I'd appreciate it even more if
they'd move along.  Mostly it works.

The other day I was at the school just as it was getting out.  Jetta took me
up to the door closest to the push button you have to ring so they will let
you in.  It's a security thing.  Anyhow there were lots of people coming out
other doors.  Some lady was holding a different door for me and trying to
talk me into using that one, which is fine except there were kids still
coming out.  Jetta of course, is not going to trample kids so she can go
through, which the lady didn't understand.  Apparently she thought the kids
should move out of the way.  Finally I told the lady that the dog needed to
make the decision and do her job, which seemed to make sense to the lady and
we finally got in the building without trampling children.

I get you though.  Sometimes it just feels like a much, much bigger deal
than it needs to be.  99% of the time I'm fine with the explaining and the
patience.  Every now and then though, I've just had enough.  I remember once
Monty had stopped and indicated the door to me.  I was reaching for the
handle when some well meaning person pushed the automatic door opener
button.  The door swung open and mashed my toes in the process.  I think
there were bad words involved that day.

I do my best, and when I don't, I breathe and remind myself that there will
be many, many more opportunities to do better.

Julie
Courage to Dare: A Blind Woman's Quest to Train her Own Guide Dog is now
available! Get the book here:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QXZSMOC