[NAGDU] Hip problems and new limitations

Becky Frankeberger b.butterfly at comcast.net
Mon May 2 17:10:48 UTC 2016

About any school can train a dog to work on the right side. I knew my former
school would retire the second dog I had, so I thought it through with
experienced people and retrained him to work on my right side. He ended up
being better on the right then he ever was on the left side, smile. Once
that dog got the concept, all I had to do was refine clearances.

I got a hairline fracture and then a year later a stress fracture in the
same leg. So my doctor said just put the dog on the right and a cane in your
left hand. Easy for him to say, as the training seemed daunting. But once I
thought about how a dog was trained from puppyhood, this formulated a plan.

So, in a professional trainers hand, it is doable. Even in a determined lay
person's hand it is doable.

Becky and Jake fourth guide trained on the right by the school, now works on
my left trained by me. So I have done the training both sides, smile.