[NAGDU] {Spam?} ACAA proposal

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Fri May 6 17:30:17 UTC 2016

I read what I thought was an official proposal for new ACAA rules, but
went back to find it and discovered it's a proposal by an organization
for psychiatric service dog users. It's well thought out and rasies some
interesting points, so I'll go ahead and paste the text, even though
it's really long. When I was thinking it was an official rule change
proposal, I planned to read it again, and I might anyway. It might give
an idea of what some service dog organizations are trying to get into
the rules.

The link is
http://www.psychdogpartners.org/board-of-directors/board-activities/advocacy/acaa-design-challenges-solutions#sdfootnote20sym

Now here's the article:

Design Challenges and Solutions for Service Animal Access under the
ACAA: A Justificatory Guide for Regulators and Stakeholders

by Bradley W. Morris, MA, CPhil,
based on PSDP’s ACAA Committee discussions and collaborations through
early March 2016

The Department of Justice’s (DOJ’s) Americans with Disabilities Act
(ADA) regulations and guidance on service animal access have been
refined through years of testing, wise consideration, and response to
stakeholder input—they are the gold standard. So when other federal and
state agencies are increasingly bringing their regs in line with DOJ’s,
why should the Department of Transportation (DOT) do anything different
with service animals and air travel?

The answer is they should only differ when it’s justified by the special
nature of air travel. We’ll be navigating how and to what extent that
special nature comes into play to untangle the unique design
challenges—and practicable solutions—for a system of service animal
access under the Air Carrier Access Act (ACAA). The stakeholders in this
system are most clearly service animal users, trainers, prospective
service animal users, air travel industries, and industry personnel, but
also include all fellow air travelers that may find their journeys
joined by a service animal team.

§1: The current state of things

What makes air travel access distinct from general public access for
service animals includes these three considerations for air travel:

(1) some pets are allowed on board when people pay fees

(2) the environments of airports and cabins of airplanes in flight are
more challenging than average for an animal (humans, too!)—including in
terms of airport activity and stress, and airplane crowding and confinement

(3) gatekeepers (employees) are more in the position of actively
verifying an animal’s status

The current system has some additional features that’ve fallen out of
these considerations. While certain pets are allowed when people pay
more, charging service animal users extra fees would be discriminatory.
Because of this, people have a distinct financial incentive to claim
their non-service animals as service animals—and this happens both
intentionally or unintentionally.

In an unsuccessful attempt to discourage this abuse of reasonable
accommodations, DOT allows extra, discriminatory requirements for people
with mental health disabilities. These extra barriers—including
paperwork-carrying1 and 48-hour prior disclosure2, which DOT admits is
discriminatory3—certainly make it harder for those with psychiatric
service dogs. Even worse, they provide a clear and well-traveled path
for unsavory online business accomplices, whose m.o. is to sell medical
certifications in a healthcare vacuum. This is not about assigning
blame; we just have to face the ugly, messy state of things to
understand what’s needed to improve.

If we’re speaking plainly about the online businesses, these
rubber-stamping paperwork factories have created an air travel access
pipeline for pet owners. Owners just have to be willing to tick a few
boxes from the comfort of their home, lying to a faceless and
unaccountable “healthcare provider” with whom they have no prior or
subsequent relationship. The more frugal fakers may realize they can
simply claim to have one of a number of non-psychiatric invisible
disabilities, thus avoiding the cost of obtaining the paperwork.

Even some legitimate service animal users have been pushed by the
current system to subsidize this kind of business. This often happens
because many individuals’ genuine doctors are reluctant to sign anything
at all they perceive as increasing their own liability. I have
personally had such doctors and consequently been prevented from
benefits I was owed from an insurance system I paid into.

So not only is the current service animal access system discriminatory,
but it falls gravely short even on the goals it was specifically
designed to achieve. If we want to come up with a smarter solution for
air travel access, we should identify the particular design challenges.
But we can’t proceed with unity and conviction until we map out some
overall goals all stakeholders should agree on.

§2: Overall goals, including parity

It looks like the main goals that come into play for the various
stakeholders are:

• Public safety through reasonable measures

• Fair and just disability access (mental health parity + no undue
burden on disabled)

• Privacy of specific medical information

• Discouraging intentional and unintentional fraud

• Clarity and systematic ease of use for all parties

• Respect and liability reduction for airline and airport personnel as
non-experts in disability access, animal behavior, and legal affairs

Many of these goals go hand in hand, which is promising if we want a
system that fairly ties together everyone’s needs. When we recognize
that hierarchical thinking about disability types isn’t just
misdirected, but is unhelpful, we can see a fair system that discourages
fraud will give every person with a disability the same privileges (and
burdens) across the board.

If we’re going to treat people with disabilities the same, we either
have to expand the paperwork and prior notification burdens to service
animal users with non-psychiatric disabilities, or eliminate those
burdens (possibly replacing them with something that makes more sense).
As DOJ and other agencies have recognized, forcing those with
disabilities to carry paperwork to access goods and services others can
access without paperwork is discriminatory.4 The same reasoning applies
to giving advanced notice.5 If there isn’t enough reason for those with
non-psychiatric disabilities to give notice, there isn’t enough reason
to require early notice from service animal users with mental health
disabilities.

Since mental health parity was supposed to be gained last century, it
looks like all disabilities should be treated the same for service
animal access, now that we’re over a decade into this century. This
makes it our overdue duty to eliminate the paperwork-carrying and prior
notification requirements. On its own, this would leave us with
something much more similar to the DOJ regs and guidance, wherein
gatekeepers can only ask (1) whether it’s a service animal required for
a disability, and (2) what work or tasks the animal’s trained to do (to
assist with the disability).6

§3: Anti-fraud design challenges

But the burdens in the current system were enacted to prevent fraud.
This was perceived as a problem so significant and perverse that DOT was
willing to discriminate against those with certain disabilities in a
misguided attempt to address it. What else can we do to discourage fraud
and try to ensure public safety—while still avoiding undue burdens on
people with disabilities?

We’ll get to that, but wait, there’s more! Another consideration here is
that we cannot expect airline and airport employees to be experts in
making all the determinations about whether it’s a service animal.
Employees may have some training, but any system has to be easy for
non-experts to implement. In the absence of obvious misbehavior, the
burden should be on the handlers as to whether their animals meet the
criteria for service animals, rather than on airline employees.
“Credible verbal assurances”7 leaves a lot of room for interpretation.

Other important considerations here involve both intentional fraud and
unintended misunderstandings. Some people will lie, cheat, and steal to
get whatever they want, no matter the risk. The best we can do, then, is
give the system enough teeth and clear enforcement paths so that it’s
simply not worth the risk to the majority of prospective “fakers”. That
way the punishment is large on the back end and only for violators,
rather than small and for everyone up front.

But some well-meaning people simply don’t understand that their animals
don’t qualify as service animals, whether it’s because they don’t have a
disability or their animal isn’t sufficiently trained. Consequently, we
can’t rely on jargon, but must use descriptive terms in plain language
so there’s minimal confusion about what handlers are being asked to
verify. We need to minimize the chances of unintentional violations.

So in our system for discouraging fraud, we want to:

• Avoid undue burdens on people with disabilities, such as
paperwork-carrying or notification requirements

• Relieve some of the burden from airline employees, not requiring them
to be expert assessors

• Allow obvious, ongoing misbehavior of an animal to overrule any
initial handler verifications

• Give the system teeth to make lying not worth it

• Use descriptive terms rather than jargon to avoid misunderstandings
(hint: avoid “Is that a service animal?”)

§4: Anti-fraud solution

One way to meet these anti-fraud goals is for airline ticket counters
and gate/boarding desks to stock and use a form. The form would be for
handlers representing their animals as service animals; they would
complete and turn in the form for flight access/accommodations with the
animal. Airlines would then have a record they could file (signed by the
handler and the form-accepting employee), and people with disabilities
would not have to carry the completed form for access. The form would
state the steep penalties for knowingly telling falsehoods on it, and
handlers would simply have to check the boxes next to the jargonless
descriptions that apply to them and their animals.

This is not a free pass. This is a special application of the DOJ
questioning system for this unique context. Handlers would not be asked
to reveal any private medical information, such as whether they have a
mental illness. In essence, they are just asked whether they have a
service animal through the component aspects of what that means, but
they’re “on the record” rather than just answering verbally. They also
can’t shift any blame onto anyone else for their black and white
answers—and airline employees don’t have to rely on personal judgment
about anyone’s verbal answers.

Just like with the DOJ system for public access, blatantly disruptive
behavior removes the accommodation, regardless of whether the animal is
a well-behaved service animal in other contexts. Depending on the
particular situation, the consequences can vary from being charged the
pet fee for that flight (and any up to a month later) to much more
serious and formal repercussions for fraudulently filling out the form.

§5: Species restrictions

Here it’s appropriate to bring up what species are suitable as service
animals in the sky. Again, the DOJ reasoning is the respected authority
with plenty of transparently argued guidance, so the only reason to
depart from it is when the special context gives us reason to.

The latest DOJ rules have restricted service animals to dogs, with some
special exceptions for miniature horses. This DOJ restriction (from
allowing most domesticated animals) arose because there were
consequences DOJ didn’t anticipate with the earlier phrasing, but then
wanted to prevent once problems developed. There were safety concerns
with some species, such as capuchin monkeys, but overall the problem was
that people were taking out untrained pets of all species as service
animals. The restriction mainly to dogs was designed to ratchet down the
intentional and unintentional “faking” that was especially prevalent
among handlers of these other species, making the whole service animal
community subject to ridicule.

It looks like the same reasons DOJ had for increased species
restrictions have only been magnified in the context of air travel. The
collection of “colorful stories” has continued to grow.8 This means it’s
high time for DOT to restrict these other species from being considered
service animals for airline access, which fences the field down to dogs
and miniature horses.

Conversations with our horse-owning leaders and research into guide
horses reveal that some miniature horses are able to be trained to
signal a short time before they need to eliminate, which means they are
able to ride in taxis, busses, and subways without incident. However,
they are not able to go for long periods of time without eliminating,
and you can’t maintain their health while withholding/restricting water
and food from them before traveling, as handlers often do for long
flights with service dogs.

Consequently, we have not lassoed miniature horses as an acceptable
service animal species in this context, leaving dogs as the only animals
that qualify as service animals for air travel. Of course, airlines
would remain free and encouraged to make their own exceptions on a
case-by-case basis, allowing for those reasonable accommodations too
specific to detail in regulations.

§6: Training standards

This leads us to another salient question: what is the training standard
for service animals (dogs)? This splits into two types of training:
public access training and disability mitigation (assistance) training.

Public access training is training the dog in various environments to
the point at which the dog is reliably safe, non-disruptive, and
well-behaved in novel situations. We certainly assume this includes
housetraining, for its absence would be disruptive.

A common initial thought is that requiring certification would solve all
the problems, but as DOJ has found, specific certifications or
registrations do not demonstrate that the dog is or will be well-behaved
in the environment.9 Additionally, requiring handlers to acquire and
carry such paperwork would present undue burdens on those with
disabilities.10,11 The best overall approach seems to consist of
striving for clarity on the form (and an accompanying guidance brief) as
to the level of expected training.

This does not involve getting government bureaucracy into the business
of dog training. Instead, the handler is asked outright on the form to
attest that the dog has undergone training in various environments so
it’s reasonable to expect the dog to behave at the airport and on the
airplane. The handler is directly responsible for the reliability of the
dog’s training, and not anyone else.

Of course, some people may be willing to interpret whatever question is
asked about public access training in a much looser way than is desired.
There is another layer to this cake that both aligns the requirements
more with DOJ’s and conveys that the bar for service dog access is not
so low that a barely trained pet would qualify.

This other aspect follows the standard DOJ recipe in requiring that
service dogs be trained to do work or tasks to mitigate the person’s
disability. This means the dog has to actually recognize and respond
reliably to a command, or to a change in the person or environment, in a
way that helps relieve symptoms or negative effects of their
disability—it cannot be that the mere untrained presence of the dog
makes the person feel better. This is another blindspot that has been
exploited in the current system. When people don’t have to take
disability-mitigation training seriously, as a practical matter it seems
they also do not take public access training seriously.

§7: Emotional support animals unsupported

One consequence of this proposed disability-mitigation training
requirement is that emotional support animals (ESAs) would no longer be
allowed. This is in contrast with psychiatric service dogs, which do
perform disability-mitigating work or tasks for psychiatric disabilities
and are public access trained. We believe it’s an accident that ESAs
were given ACAA access in the first place. This accident seems to have
resulted from DOT co-opting a HUD term and confusingly giving it a
significantly different meaning—in a way no one noticed.

Historically, ESAs were created in FHAct regulations as part of the
protected general class of “assistance animals” with access rights in
no-pet housing.12 They did not need to be trained for public access
because they only had housing access rights, unlike service animals that
accompany their disabled users in public.13 There are other, mildly
arcane considerations, but as long as their mere presence helps someone
with a disability, they’re basically covered for housing.

Later—and clearly with good intentions—DOT allowed access for what
sounded an awful lot like HUD’s ESAs (without using that full name), but
DOT oddly assumed these animals would be public access trained.14 Some
years following this, DOT started using the terms others were using:
ESAs and psychiatric service dogs/animals. Confusingly, DOT continued to
assume that the animals they were now calling ESAs (like HUD) were
public access trained (unlike with HUD).15

DOT further added to the frustration of advocates in this arena. In
spite of DOT itself at least having distinguished between psychiatric
service dogs and ESAs on the basis of ESAs not being work or task
trained, DOT remained reluctant to treat the categories differently from
one another. This did not stop DOT from treating access for their
handlers differently from that of non-psychiatric service animals’
handlers. Advocates even petitioned DOT regarding this in 2009, but the
education efforts and pleas went nowhere at the time.16

We believe DOT is practically the only party aware that “DOT-ESAs” are
expected to be public access trained, unlike “HUD-ESAs”. We do not
believe this pervasive ignorance is likely to change, nor do we imagine
it would be helpful to even try to start bifurcating this term in the
public consciousness into two technical meanings. When this difference
is brought to light among experts, it does seem strange to expect
animals to be public access trained if their only experiences in no-pet
places are in the advanced environments of airports and airplanes.
Contrast this with the intense and lengthy public access training and
everyday outings of service dogs!

Eliminating ESA access in flights would resolve the longstanding
confusion, leaving untrained ESA access to housing only. Then it would
be only users of trained service dogs that have mandated access to
spaces that appropriately require public access training. Just like
mixing up established jargon, a contrary system just doesn’t work out in
practice!

§8: Reasonable and valuable accommodation extensions: deliveries and SDITs

While untrained ESAs don’t merit public access rights, there are two
exceptional other categories where it is reasonable to grant access
rights. In each case, the dog is public access trained to the point at
which it’s expected to behave in airports and aircraft, and access would
be an indirect—albeit reasonable—accommodation for a person with a
disability.

Since service dog training programs are often hundreds or even thousands
of miles from the recipients, it is occasionally optimal for a trainer
to fly with a trained dog for both delivery to and local training with
the recipient. Accommodating such a dog trainer/trained dog pair for one
trip is a reasonable and valuable extension of the accommodations given
directly to those with disabilities.

The other exceptional category involves advanced service dogs in
training. Service dog public access training must increase incrementally
if the dog is to graduate as a service dog. A dog may not yet be ready
to graduate either due to the need for more public access training that
does not bear on the dog behaving during air travel, or due simply to
the fact that the service dog in training is still being trained to
perform work or tasks.

If either of these is the case and the dog is expected to behave in the
air travel environments, this is another reasonable and valuable
extension of the usual accommodations. This allows advanced dogs to
train specifically to airport and airplane conditions, rather than just
training in similar environments, graduating, and then being thrown into
such an environment and possibly (and avoidably) becoming an unexpected
washout after great investment and expectations.

§9: Airport access (vs. airplane access)

One final design challenge pertains to what’s needed for airport
access,17 as opposed to flight access.

Airlines would be strongly encouraged to note “service dog” on the
person’s tickets to signify when the access form has been successfully
completed and filed, and to prevent agents from iteratively requiring
form completion on multiple legs of the same flight. As we covered
above, handlers cannot be expected to carry paperwork for access, and
some may even use an automated check-in, bypassing the first opportunity
to complete the form. So if we can’t rely on paperwork for access and
accommodations outside of the airplane, how should access work in these
places?

This is where DOJ-style questions are appropriate. However, with the
nuances we’ve justified above, those exact questions don’t include the
variety of teams that would have airport access. Instead, when it is not
clear to an employee whether the person and dog constitute a service dog
team (or some acceptable extension), the employee may ask two questions:

(1) Is this dog trained to behave in airports?

(2) Is this dog trained or training to assist with an individual’s
disability?

These are a short mashup of the questions on the form, constructed
specifically for airport access. They get to the heart of the matter,
and just like with the form, clear and ongoing misbehavior are grounds
for revoking accommodations in a way proportional to the situation.

§10: Terms of success

While not especially short, this article is still a mere distillation of
many hours of intense discussion within PSDP’s ACAA committee and
through collaboration with other stakeholder groups. Here we’ve covered
a breadth of the main design challenges for service animal access in air
travel, and outlined a system we hope meets these unique challenges and
the universal stakeholder goals in the best way practicable. We don’t
believe everyone will be happy with each aspect of our proposal, but
we’ll count success in terms of the degree to which others see our
system as the best-justified way to construct the puzzle using all the
roughly contoured pieces on the table.

To see the system practically fleshed out, please consult our three-page
proposal; the latest updates will be reflected in the version on our
website. The proposal currently consists of a one-page form and a
two-page guidance brief.

ADDENDUM

—3/18/16—

After consulting with several national disability advocacy groups, we
learned of some key (non-supportive) positions individuals could take in
response to the proposed form. This is not to say that each position has
an actual supporter!

This addendum is an attempt to prevent or fix potential
misunderstandings, and to respond to those positions that may otherwise
have unhappy results. Here’s an index as a heads-up:

§A1: Ounce of prevention

§A2: Addressing fraud denial

§A3: Eliminating ESA access is not discriminatory

§A4: Where “losing” is winning for service dog users

§A5: No technical loss for the disability community

§A6: This is not a zero-sum game

§A1: Ounce of prevention

First we’ll look at a worrisome way of thinking we encountered. This way
of thinking isn’t so bad for normal public access situations, but is not
so great for the captive audience of airplane passengers.

Some seem to think that the current system of enforcement is fine
(excluding the non-discriminatory bits). In this way of thinking, it
would be okay just to have the DOJ-style questions and allow ESAs.18 It
would thus be okay not to actively discourage handlers of inadequately
trained animals and “fakers” from boarding a plane, because there are
remedies if an animal bites someone or causes some other severe disturbance.

In an everyday store on the ground, there’s at least the possibility of
having the dog leave if things are starting to go badly. Doggie
parachutes are not an analogous option for misbehavior on aircraft, though!

This is part of why we believe that in the special context of flying, an
ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. You may agree with this
reasoning or not, but you don’t have to be part of the service dog
community to think of it. In contrast, an experienced service dog
handler might have some frightening “insider information”, enabling the
sober realizations that follow.

When a service animal is attacked or its training is otherwise ruined by
another animal, it may have to retire early. This happened to the second
service dog of one of our board members. Her investment in years of
training and thousands of dollars was ruined when he was attacked
multiple times by an untrained pet.

Allowing this egregious irresponsibility can rob people with
disabilities of their independence and integration in society. It can
take years and financial strain to get another service dog unexpectedly.
This is not something we want to risk to allow an increasing number of
people to fly openly with their pet/ESA, when they apparently don’t need
the pet in the rest of their public life.

We are certainly not opposed to individuals choosing to mitigate their
disabilities—that is not independently in question. The fact remains,
though, that this must be done in a reasonable manner.

A gas-powered wheelchair may help a mobility-impaired person get around,
but that doesn’t automatically make it a reasonable accommodation
indoors. In a similar vein, “Segway”-style devices may be excellent
mobility aids for some—but if it isn’t needed for a disability, a
business has no ethical or legal obligation to accommodate. We also
think it’s likely there are safe, reasonable medical remedies available
to the flying-phobic other than their untrained pets.

If our form can institute and clarify the requirements and penalties19,
it may significantly lower the chances of traumatic incidents that would
cause a service dog to retire early. Yes, the form is a small burden. So
is ever having to answer the DOJ-style questions. But filling out the
form is merely a focused version of answering those questions for the
flying context, and it’s in black and white to suit this context. So
it’s a burden, but not an undue burden.

As we’ve said, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Maybe
it’s because of this that 95.5% of our community mostly or completely
supports our proposal. Whatever the reason, it looks like there is
overwhelming support within a subset of the disability community to whom
the proposal directly applies. If the form appears to
non-service-dog-users like a burden we wouldn’t want, I hope a closer
look—and certainly the voices of those affected—would relieve them of
that impression.

§A2: Addressing fraud denial

Our access form was designed primarily as a replacement for the current,
discriminatory system DOT put in place to prevent fraud. In the absence
of this form, our proposal would be very similar to just having a DOJ
style of questioning.

We found several disability advocacy groups highly suspicious that fraud
exists to a degree justifying a counter-measure. So these groups tended
to want a DOJ-style questioning, with no special 48-hour notice,
doctor’s letter, or our form. The reasoning below in this section is
intended to address this permissive approach, as we believe it does not
respect the practical reality of the situation.20

Either there is significant fraud that merits a deterrent, or there isn’t.

If there is (or would be) significant fraud that calls for a deterrent,
we need something to replace the current deterrent system. Our access
form is a prime candidate.

If there isn’t, then a DOJ questioning system might be alright. However,
this assumes that having just a DOJ questioning system itself would not
lead to significant fraud. This assumption deserves inspection, but I’ll
leave that to the reader.

Now for the practical reality, for those who deny there’s significant
fraud. If anyone wants to try to convince DOT and industry groups that
there wouldn’t be fraud with a DOJ questioning system, I wish you thick
skin and safe travels! Not only am I not sure how you would substantiate
this view,21 but from the Reg Neg objectives22 and their historical
trajectory, they seem absolutely determined to do something to address
the actual or perceived fraud.

That’s why we (PSDP) must persist in making available the best something
to meet the design challenges, respecting everyone’s interests as much
as we can.

We don’t believe we have “a solution in search of a problem”. We have
ourselves seen and heard of harmful fraud, which is more likely to be
harmful and so noticed when our community members are present with their
canine partners (seeing another dog brings a pet’s/ESA’s lack of
training to the surface). We strive to be proactive here because in a
vacuum, we know not what devilish system might replace the current one.

§A3: Eliminating ESA access is not discriminatory

It was difficult for me to discern exactly whether any individuals
believed that eliminating ESA access would be discriminatory, but there
were indications in our discussions that this is another avenue for
misunderstanding.

I must assume no one objects to thinking that public access training is
a reasonable requirement for public access in no-pet places. This is
training that makes good behavior reliable and obscenely bad behavior
out of the question. DOT has explicitly assumed this requirement (see §7
above), and without this assumption, it is quite difficult to reach
common ground. Since ESAs aren’t public access trained as a practical
matter, we struggle to understand the desire to preserve ESA access.

Some individuals may be under the impression that eliminating ESA access
would discriminate against one type of disability. We did not anticipate
this impression, because—being fundamentally wrong in our view—this
notion is foreign to us. I’ll explain why it’s not true.

Imagine there were a type of service dog for every type of disability.
Eliminating ESA access would not eliminate access for any such type of
service dog. So there is no disability against which ESA access
elimination would discriminate.

People with psychiatric service dogs in training often obtain housing
access for their dog as an ESA. Our community tends to think of it as:

ESA + public access training + disability mitigation training =
psychiatric service dog

If you switch this formula around, an ESA is a psychiatric service dog
without training.23 Some members of the psychiatric service dog
community have actually viewed ESA access as
psychiatric-service-dog-in-training access for owner-trainers. This
means that the lack of access for other types of service dogs in
training would appear to discriminate against those whose disabilities
cannot be mitigated by ESAs. This turns the situation on its head, but
we’d wander too far to pursue this further here.

So under our proposal, people (with or without disabilities) would not
have unfettered public access with their untrained animals. However, if
someone’s disability is so severe that they need the services of a
service dog, if they engage in public access training and disability
mitigation training like those with service dogs, they can have one.

This means that type of disability has nothing to do with eliminating
ESA access. It’s primarily about public safety, and secondarily about
fraud prevention. DOJ has clarified that ESAs don’t have public access
rights elsewhere, and as I detail in §7 above, it’s largely an
historical accident that people think their untrained housing-access
ESAs are also flying-access ESAs.

§A4: Where “losing” is winning for service dog users

Many general disability advocacy groups—those not specifically tuned to
the needs and desires of service dog users—are under the distinct
impression that any “loss” of part of the disability-related system is
worse for the side of disability rights. This mindset doesn’t mesh with
the mild complexity of the situation

If we dare to speak on behalf of responsible service dog users, the
access “rights” involving animals of various species that are not public
access trained are access “wrongs”. This tends to be the case with
emotional support animals, which cannot be expected to have been
extensively trained in no-pets places when they don’t even have access
rights outside of housing and flying. When these animals poorly behave
and their use grows, it negatively affects the reputation and level of
safety for respectable service dog teams. The permissiveness of the
current system is disrespectful to those who value the safety and
unhindered access of well-trained teams.

Jefferson memorial quotation, in footnote 24So this is a case where
cutting out part of the current ACAA system tied to disability rights
would improve the situation. To see this, we must take care not to
fasten ourselves to the past. We must not insist on general principle
that a former (apparent) gain for disability rights must not be
lost—even when we learn it was not a gain after all.24 This approach
would railroad our thinking. We’d miss the fact that ESA access on
planes wasn’t a gain overall in the first place for the disability
community, and in particular for service animal users.

We can sum it up for the general disability rights advocates like this.
If the reaper comes for ESA ACAA access, don’t fear the reaper. And if
you’re worried about negotiating in a traditional, zero-sum game manner
(see §A6 below) for the disability rights “side”, feel free to treat
losing this access as a loss the other side can then be pushed to offset
elsewhere. Perhaps this is a means by which you can join us in arguing
for mandated access for trained service dog delivery and advanced
service dog in training development. If you can’t join us on these
points, at least don’t rise up to oppose us when we service dog groups
self-advocate and fight against access wrongs!

§A5: No technical loss for the disability community

We’ve seen that eliminating ESA access isn’t discriminatory (§A3) and is
better for service animal users (§A4), and that our proposal would
valuably increase access for other categories (§8). But you might think
it’s still an overall loss for the disability community, in virtue of
thinking that there are ESA teams that now have access that would not
have access under our proposal. We’re not even sure that’s the case!

What our proposal technically does is eliminate access for the elusive
“DOT-ESA”, which is somehow public access trained (see §7 above).
Untrained “HUD-ESAs” never technically had access in the first place.
Any attempt to expand mandated access to HUD-ESAs would qualify as
trying to increase access, rather than defending existing
rights—regardless of whether individuals are currently acting as if
their HUD-ESAs already have access rights.

It seems highly unlikely that DOT-ESAs exist. That is, that there are
animals whose mere presence is the only disability-mitigating factor,
but who have been extensively public access trained in various
environments. It would be strange to think they would be public access
trained, because DOJ doesn’t grant them access rights in any no-pets
places. If DOT-ESAs do not exist, then there is no actual ESA team that
technically has access now that would not have access under our proposal.

If the mythical DOT-ESA does exist, then we believe the training efforts
and knowledge that went into the animal’s extensive public access
training could be easily channeled into teaching the animal a simple,
disability-mitigating work or task item. That is the salient threshold
between a DOT-ESA and a (DOJ) service animal, and it is not a
particularly onerous step, as the public access training is the hard part.

Our proposal also contains a restriction of the species given access:
dogs only. There are independent justifications in §5, but we also find
justification in light of the issues we’re discussing here, as follows.
Miniature horses are exceptional and covered in §5.

Non-canine ESAs are highly unlikely to be public access trained, both
because of the limitations of many species, and because DOJ does not
grant them public access. An animal that is not allowed public access in
normal circumstances cannot be expected to be reliably trained to behave
in public environments that are more challenging than normal.

All of this means that eliminating DOT-ESA access is not likely to
eliminate access for any team that previously had access. Of course, the
practical reality is that HUD-ESAs are wrongly being granted access
under the current system, due to misunderstandings. We believe there
should be no room for this kind of misunderstanding in the future.

§A6: This is not a zero-sum game

A “zero-sum game” is a situation in which there’s a discrete amount of
something, and the more someone else in the game gets, the less you get
(and vice versa). Real life situations are rarely like a zero-sum game
overall. Even when it seems like they are, we can see other approaches
if we are able to think creatively.

It helps to realize that one party’s benefit is not necessarily the
detriment of another. This is why limiting your thinking in terms of
zero-sum games can be destructive: if you only think in terms of “us vs.
them”, you can miss opportunities to create systems that bring interests
together to benefit everyone.

Our proposal is justified by both disability-based stakeholder
considerations and industry-based ones, and that is on purpose. As it
turns out though, even if you ignore all industry-based considerations,
the others are independently enough to justify our proposal with
practical reasoning. We did not need to compromise or otherwise give
concessions to accommodate industry needs, because like most situations,
this is not a zero-sum game!

ADDENDUM 2

—5/1/16—

Our proposal expands access for advanced service dogs in training and
for the delivery of service dogs. However, we have encountered some
resistance when it comes to our proposition that ESA flight access
should be eliminated.

We’ve argued for our position and addressed some specific concerns in
the guide to our proposal and its first addendum, but there remains a
particularly heartfelt objection. A couple of people who use psychiatric
service dogs, not ESAs, have enthusiastically voiced that flying is
especially challenging for some people, and that it is unjust to deprive
these people of their ESAs if those animals provide comfort to them.

Our hearts have always been sympathetic to this sentiment. Let’s honor
it by giving the argument its most distilled form. This way we can
address the strongest possible version of this objection to ESA access
elimination.

§A2.1: Considerations beyond disability mitigation

We’ll focus on the kind of situation in which people have a disabling
psychiatric condition—one that significantly limits one or more major
life functions, not just one where someone experiences mild discomfort.
Add to this that the mere presence of a pet mitigates the disabling
psychiatric condition, enabling them to fly without chance of a
significant medical incident.

At first glance, it might seem like anything that helps people engage in
the world despite their disabilities would be a good thing, and
following this, that ESA access should be mandated for flights because
flying is a particularly challenging and stressful situation for some
people. However, there are considerations that exist outside of whether
an individual’s disability is mitigated. For instance, we would not
allow someone to fly with a gun just because it made them feel safe and
kept flashbacks at bay!

§A2.2: Training for health and safety

We have pushed for two types of training requirements to address the
health and safety of the public and the dog. This training includes
extensive public access training in various environments that ESAs don’t
have access to, and disability mitigation training as a threshold
indicator for the seriousness of the public access training. Details are
in §6, where we’ve noted that “When people don’t have to take
disability-mitigation training seriously, as a practical matter it seems
they also do not take public access training seriously.”

We aren’t creating this on our own from nothing: the Department of
Justice expects this training in service animals. We are simply
following their lead and agreeing with the authority’s reasoning.

§A2.3: Parity of reasoning: untoward consequences

So what would be the consequences if we follow the contrary reasoning of
those who object to our proposal’s ESA flight access elimination?

Let’s imagine we believed that the need for the dog to be trained for
public access—to respect the dog’s and public’s health and safety—were
outweighed whenever the situation were particularly challenging or
stressful. To be consistent, this pattern of reasoning would obligate us
to want ESA access in many other situations.

For instance, some people have panic attacks or dissociate when in large
crowds or around loud sounds or music. For these people, these
situations are particularly challenging or stressful, so by parity of
reasoning, they should be allowed to take their untrained ESAs with them
into such no-pet places.

 From our perspective, these situations that are more likely to be
difficult for people are more likely to be difficult for dogs. These are
situations with an even greater need for public access training! If the
person is more stressed, they are also less likely to be able to control
an untrained dog, which makes the training even more necessary.

§A2.4: Ensuring safety and respect without luck

It is unfair to the dog for it to be thrown into a stressful situation
without extensive prep work. Service dogs undergo 1–3 years of public
access training to incrementally build up to handling unexpected and
otherwise very stressful situations. This ensures the dog has
psychological shock absorbers and can stably do its job while remaining
healthy and safe. Many dog owners are not even familiar with the signs
of stress in a dog, and must be educated about this to accurately read
their dogs’ reactions.

Similarly, it is disrespectful to the public to take a dog into
stressful situations without the extensive, purposive-driven training
needed to create these psychological shock absorbers. Dogs are more
likely to misbehave—or even present an aggression-based danger—when
stressed.

Dogs without "shock absorbers" may be lucky…but reasonable accommodation
isn't about being lucky.Dogs without “shock absorbers” may be lucky and
not encounter any “bumpy roads” that would cause a problem, but
reasonable accommodation isn’t about being lucky. Reasonable
accommodation is about disability mitigation with an assurance of public
safety and respect, even if you’re not so lucky.

This is why the Department of Justice doesn’t mandate access for
untrained ESAs in no-pets places. Just as it isn’t reasonable to mandate
access for someone with an untrained dog at an indoor rock concert just
because the situation would otherwise aggravate the person’s disability,
it doesn’t make sense to require ESA access for flying.

§A2.5: On public access training and HUD-ESAs vs. DOT-ESAs

As noted in §§7 and A5, the Department of Transportation expects what we
call “DOT-ESAs” to be public access trained, even though “HUD-ESAs”
predate them25 and are not expected to be public access trained. We
earlier elaborated why it is not reasonable to expect DOT-ESAs to be
public access trained. In addition to the terminological discrepancy
between agencies, this includes especially that they don’t have access
to any no-pets places in which to undergo the extensive training needed
for reliable public access behavior. See the previous sections for more
details.

1
https://www.federalregister.gov/articles/2008/05/13/08-1228/nondiscrimination-on-the-basis-of-disability-in-air-travel#h-90

2
https://www.federalregister.gov/articles/2008/05/13/08-1228/nondiscrimination-on-the-basis-of-disability-in-air-travel#h-57

3 “While it is always a good idea for passengers and carriers to
communicate about accommodations as early as possible, the Department’s
ACAA regulations and nondiscrimination policies have discouraged advance
notice policies as an undue limitation of the ability of passengers with
disabilities to travel freely and without discrimination.”
https://www.federalregister.gov/articles/2008/05/13/08-1228/nondiscrimination-on-the-basis-of-disability-in-air-travel#h-24

4 See “Inquiries about services animals.”
http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/retrieveECFR?gp=1&SID=1fcb95e0991fa49ff719bbe362cdddc1&ty=HTML&h=L&r=APPENDIX&n=28y1.0.1.1.36.7.32.3.11

5 See footnote 3 to reference DOT claiming prior notice requirements are
discriminatory.

6 See Q7. http://www.ada.gov/regs2010/service_animal_qa.pdf

7 “These five steps can help one determine whether an animal is a
service animal or a pet: 1. Obtain credible verbal assurances[…]”
https://www.federalregister.gov/articles/2008/05/13/08-1228/nondiscrimination-on-the-basis-of-disability-in-air-travel#h-109

8 DOT downplayed this in 2008, when the problem may be been smaller:
“Because they make for colorful stories, accounts of unusual service
animals have received publicity wholly disproportionate to their
frequency or importance. Some (e.g., tales of service snakes, which grow
larger with each retelling) have become the stuff of urban legends.”
https://www.federalregister.gov/articles/2008/05/13/08-1228/nondiscrimination-on-the-basis-of-disability-in-air-travel#h-36

9 See Q17 http://www.ada.gov/regs2010/service_animal_qa.pdf and
“Training requirement.”
http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/retrieveECFR?gp=1&SID=1fcb95e0991fa49ff719bbe362cdddc1&ty=HTML&h=L&r=APPENDIX&n=28y1.0.1.1.36.7.32.3.11

10 See “Inquiries about services animals.”
http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/retrieveECFR?gp=1&SID=1fcb95e0991fa49ff719bbe362cdddc1&ty=HTML&h=L&r=APPENDIX&n=28y1.0.1.1.36.7.32.3.11

11 As DOT notes, “Under U.S. law (the ADA as well as the ACAA), it is
generally not permissible to insist on written credentials for an animal
as a condition for treating it as a service animal.”
https://www.federalregister.gov/articles/2008/05/13/08-1228/nondiscrimination-on-the-basis-of-disability-in-air-travel#h-36

12 “The Fair Housing Act and HUD’s Section 504 regulations govern the
use of animals needed as a reasonable accommodation in housing. HUD’s
regulations and policies pertaining to reasonable accommodation were
constructed specifically to address housing and, furthermore, were
enacted prior to the development and implementation of the ADA
regulations. Thus, the requirements for assistance/service animals must
be evaluated in the appropriate context of housing, and are independent
of the ADA regulations that were formulated to meet the needs of persons
with disabilities in a different context and were adopted subsequent to
HUD’s regulations.”
https://www.federalregister.gov/articles/2008/10/27/E8-25474/pet-ownership-for-the-elderly-and-persons-with-disabilities

13 “There is a valid distinction between the functions animals provide
to persons with disabilities in the public arena, i.e., performing tasks
enabling individuals to use public services and public accommodations,
as compared to how an assistance animal might be used in the home. For
example, emotional support animals provide very private functions for
persons with mental and emotional disabilities. Specifically, emotional
support animals by their very nature, and without training, may relieve
depression and anxiety, and help reduce stress-induced pain in persons
with certain medical conditions affected by stress. Conversely, persons
with disabilities who use emotional support animals may not need to take
them into public spaces covered by the ADA.” (ibid.)

14 In 1996, DOT mandated access (with restrictions) for animals that (1)
provided emotional support to a person with a disability, (2) were not
necessarily trained to do work or tasks, and (3) were trained for public
access. DOT did not call them “emotional support animals” (ESAs) at the
time. See p. 56421 of this federal register entry:
https://www.federalregister.gov/articles/2008/05/13/08-1228/nondiscrimination-on-the-basis-of-disability-in-air-travel#h-10

By 2003, DOT had begun calling these animals ESAs.

15 “Of course, like any service animal that a passenger wishes to bring
into the cabin, an emotional support animal must be trained to behave
properly in a public setting.”
https://www.federalregister.gov/articles/2008/05/13/08-1228/nondiscrimination-on-the-basis-of-disability-in-air-travel#h-36

16 Our predecessor, Psychiatric Service Dog Society, filed a petition in
2009 in an attempt to end the discriminatory regulations. Rather than
relying on the articulations of the experts, DOT dithered by seizing on
the less articulate personal comments of some individual advocates.
https://www.federalregister.gov/articles/2009/09/18/E9-21351/nondiscrimination-on-the-basis-of-disability-in-air-travel

17 The question of which laws govern accessibility in airports has a
complicated answer. See p. 56417–8 of the federal register entry linked
below for a start. For our purposes, we will assume the simple view that
ACAA regulations can govern all airport accessibility for service animal
handlers.
https://www.federalregister.gov/articles/2008/05/13/08-1228/nondiscrimination-on-the-basis-of-disability-in-air-travel#h-10

18 When we talk about ESA access or service dog access, this is
shorthand. It is the person with the disability that has access with the
animal (or doesn’t). The animal does not have access on its own, or with
someone else (generally).

19 In case it isn’t clear, we are not committed to specific penalties,
nor are we suggesting that the slightest misbehavior of a legitimate
service dog is grounds for a penalty. We are largely concerned that the
penalties are scary enough to discourage most people from lying, and
that the repercussions are clearly advertised so that they will in fact
do that discouraging. Some worry the penalties will be incorrectly
applied to a service dog that’s just having a bad day. Employees tend to
be excessively permissive when it comes to service dogs, so we do not
share this worry. The sort of behavior that merits action is the sort of
behavior that a well-trained service dog would be expected never to
engage in—even on a bad day.

20 I assume here that since the current deterrent system—48-hour notice
and a doctor’s letter—violates mental health parity, we have to get rid
of it.

21 Don’t expect there to be survey data wherein you get a realistic feel
for how much fraud there is!

22 “Specifically, the Department is exploring a Reg Neg to…Establish
safeguards to reduce the likelihood that passengers wishing to travel
with their pets will be able to falsely claim that their pets are
service animals”
http://www.regulations.gov/#!documentDetail;D=DOT-OST-2015-0246-0001

23 Technically—interpreting the exact HUD wording—an ESA could be for a
non-psychiatric disability. For example, the emotional support of an ESA
could lower the blood pressure of someone with a disabling heart
condition, or could keep non-disabling depression at bay for a disabled
cancer patient. “An assistance animal is…an animal that works, provides
assistance, or performs tasks for the benefit of a person with a
disability, or provides emotional support that alleviates one or more
identified symptoms or effects of a person’s disability.”
https://www.animallaw.info/sites/default/files/FHEO_notice_assistance_animals2013.pdf

24 This sentiment is explained through a quotation chiseled into the
Jefferson Memorial in Washington, DC (pictured above):

I am not an advocate for frequent changes in laws and constitutions. But
laws and institutions must go hand in hand with the progress of the
human mind. As that becomes more developed, more enlightened, as new
discoveries are made, new truths discovered and manners and opinions
change, with the change of circumstances, institutions must advance also
to keep pace with the times. We might as well require a man to wear
still the coat which fitted him when a boy as civilized society to
remain ever under the regimen of their barbarous ancestors.

25 Case law regarding ESAs in housing under Section 504 of the
Rehabilitation Act dates back at least to 1981, with Majors v. Housing
Authority of the County of DeKalb Georgia (652 F.2d 454, under the 5th
Circuit US Court of Appeals).
https://www.animallaw.info/case/majors-v-housing-authority-county-dekalb-georgia

End of pasted text

Tami