[NAGDU] Schools versus Programs

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Tue May 10 02:25:33 UTC 2016

Lisie,

Some people talk about "guide dog training programs" instead of "guide
dog schools," since it more accurately reflects their actual function.
They spend a couple of years producing the guide dog, then spend 28 days
(give or take) teaching the new handler to work with that dog.

So when talking about general service dog issues, which also include
guide dogs, "program" refers to guide dog programs and equivalent
organizations that train other types of service dogs. For the
organizations that train guide dogs and teach people to use them,
"school" and "program" are interchangeable, depending on personal
preference. I honestly don't know if equivalent organizations that
produce other types of service dogs are called schools or not. I hear
"organization" used more in that context, I think.

Another reason people veer away from the use of the word "school" is its
paternalistic connotations. Kids "go to school." Adults "attend
programs." That sort of thing.

hth

Tami