[NAGDU] {Spam?} Re: Following and Forward

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Thu May 12 16:42:42 UTC 2016

Julie,

Hm... Changing things up for him the way you describe is a good start
and should get him onto the idea of listening to you while doing follow.
It will also require him to think more to return to the follow, I bet.
So I think in addition to praise/reward for doing what you ask to
interrupt the blind follow, it would help to praise/reward him when you
feel him thinking during the follow. Even just subtle reinforcement for
tiny improvements can add up. You could also interrupt the follow by
simply stopping and doing touch, then going back on follow. You know,
just something quick and random to engage the brain until it becomes
habit to keep the brain engaged.

Arranging to work with a friend he likes to blindly follow (you said it
first! /lol/) could really help. I'm thinking of some sort of obstacle
course with some spaces just wide enough for your friend but not for you
and the dog, but with an obvious alternative he can take to get to the
same place. Just use obstacles that are flimsy or moveable enough that
you won't get hurt if you run into them. I've used lawn chairs in the
yard a couple of times to work with Loki on obstacle avoidance, then we
made an offleash game of it and had some fun doing patterns around them
on heel, which also helped with the guiding obstacle avoidance. So doing
that only with your friend going ahead of you is something that springs
to mind to teach Thai to be engaged while following someone.

How to work with him on general initiative when moving forward would
depend somewhat on why he's losing it. If it's just general lack of
motivation or something like that, you could figure out what does
motivate him and add that when he starts to flag, then reinforce when
his pace picks up. If he's slowing down because of anxiety or because he
has some pain, then the approach would be different.

So, for instance, Mitzi would slow down when she realized we were headed
for home. Boring! She wants excitement and adventure and new vistas.
None of this walking back the same old way to the boring old homestead.
Been there, done that. And so on. So I finally figured out the best
thing was to simply stop and stand still awhile, which is more boring
than walking home. She would still make it clear that ending her fun was
bumming her out, but she kept moving and pulling enough to satisfy. I've
noticed Loki is starting to slow down if we head for home before he's
had enough adventure, but he's not so obvious about it and doesn't hold
onto a 'tude like Mitzi. I'm not sure how just stopping and letting him
get bored will work with him if he gets serious about slowing down and
lallygagging. He's more patient than Mitzi, so the few times we've tried
that or the time-out, I'm the one who gets bored first. /lol/

Also, have some sympathetic understanding. /smile/

hth,

Tami