[NAGDU] collar question

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Sun May 15 17:47:29 UTC 2016

Julie,

Who knew? I'll have to think about the benefits of silence when it comes
to dogs and kids. Loki seems to be getting less interference these days,
so I think he's learned to solicit less and to communicate a wish for
space. Or we just haven't been around kids and loose dogs to come
interfere. With Mitzi, kids were a problem, because they really unnerved
her when they came up to her with their curl-snatching little hands. She
likes them, just not up close and personal. She got better with time, so
we didn't spin around in circles every time a kid came a' petting. Loki
must bond with every child he meets, and they must bond with him. Only
when he spurted up and could look most kids in the eye, he couldn't
understand that he was just terrifying all of a sudden. Kids would still
see him and come running up to him, then find themselves eye to eye...
They'd come to a skidding halt and *scream*! Right in his face. That
scared the heck out of me, but as far as I could tell, Loki thought it
was just fun and games. He doesn't look so puppy-ish anymore, so we
haven't had that problem for a long time. Whew! And he has figured out
that it's best to be gracious from a distance and to maintain gracious
reserve if the child comes up to pet him. My nerves may recover some
day. /lol/

I might try experimenting one of these days to see if there's a
difference with and without bells. This could be a revolutionary new
concept for guide dog users everywhere! /lol/

Tami