[NAGDU] Questions About Getting My First Guide Dog

Julie McGinnity kaybaycar at gmail.com
Tue May 17 22:25:07 UTC 2016

Hi Rachel,

I can help you with your first and third questions...  Someone else
should speak to the cat issue as I have never owned a cat.

I have been teaching private voice lessons for two years now, and the
dog has never been a problem.  Sometimes when I got a new student, I
would warn them by telling them to look for the young woman with the
really long hair and the service dog.  I was told by one of my
students that she didn't believe the service dog part until she saw
me.  :)

Now I am assigned students by where I work, and they don't have to
find me in a lobby.  I have never warned them about the dog because I
don't want it to become a problem.  I don't want parents to worry
about their kids being around someone who needs a guide dog or how the
dog will act.  But much of this comes from my refusal to disclose my
blindness to my students, which is another discussion entirely.  You
know your students best, especially if they are long-term ones.  You
can casually drop it into conversation just so that they know, but
there isn't a reason to make a big deal about it.  The dog will be
there, behaving and inconspicuous.

As for the allergy issue...  I would not recommend letting your new
dog loose in a backyard.  I like to have control over my dogs, and if
your dog has been in a backyard for a long period of time, it can pick
up things, roll in stuff, or eat grass.  I would especially worry
about someone else's backyard, where you don't know the layout.  My
rule is that if I can't chase my dog in it or around it, then I won't
let my dog loose there.  Yes, it means I don't let my dog loose in
friends' houses at first.

There are ways to reduce allergins.  I believe there is something you
can rub on the dog or a solution you can bathe him or her with, but
someone else will know more about this than I do.

These are good questions.  Feel free to email me off list if you have
more!  I know we are of a similar profession, and I have dealt with
dogs and opera rehearsals, choir rehearsals, singing competitions,
etc.