[NAGDU] Allergies

jeninems at icloud.com jeninems at icloud.com
Wed May 18 18:19:07 UTC 2016

Hi Sandra,
I've used Benadryl before with my dogs, Goldens in fact.  My vet said the dosage is higher than for humans. She estimated it was 1 50mg pill per every 25 pounds of dog. The dog was a bit drowsey or out of it for the first week but after that the dog should be fine. It worked very well. Initially it did affect the guide work but once the dog was used to the dosage, it did not and the allergies were significantly reduced.

Get Outlook for iOS

On Wed, May 18, 2016 at 11:12 AM -0700, "S L Johnson via NAGDU" <nagdu at nfbnet.org> wrote:

Hello:

My golden retriever, Eva, has seasonal allergies.  My vet has suggested 50
milligrams of Benadryl twice a day.  She has never treated a guide dog so
does not know if the Benadryl will make Eva drowsy or not.  I plan to call
Pilot and ask their opinion but I thought I would ask all of you if you have
given your dogs Benadryl and if it made them drowsy and effected their work.
I know many of you will start talking about lots of natural stuff but
everything we have tried has not worked.  Changing her food did not help
either.  So here we are trying to find a medication that will help Eva’s
allergies.  She has the yeast infections in both ears again and is rubbing
her eyes and scratching .

Sandra and Eva