[NAGDU] A few questions about leaderdog commands?

Marianne Denning marianne at denningweb.com
Fri May 20 12:52:01 UTC 2016

Congratulations on your decision to get a dog guide.  I have my 5th dog
from Leader.  There are commands and suggestions.  A command means the dog
is expected to do what you tell it to do.  Suggestions are requests that
the dog do something.  Our dogs are trained to disobey if a suggestion
would be dangerous or not possible.  I have given my dog a "forward"
suggestion and the dog looked at me like I must be absolutely crazy.  I
inspected why the dog disobeyed my command to find something blocking our
path.  I followed that up with an "around" command and the dog found a path
around the obstacle.  These kinds of things are where I find a dog to be
great.  My dogs also just guide me around a lot of things without me
knowing it.  When we go downtown there are lots of obstacles on the
sidewalks and my dogs just walk right through them.  I don't want to know
they are there.

--
Marianne Denning, TVI, MA
(513) 607-6053