[NAGDU] pulling

S L Johnson SLJohnson25 at comcast.net
Mon Nov 21 16:18:50 UTC 2016

Hello:

Many years ago I had a very hard puller.  Some schools have harnesses and
handles making a back and forth movement easy to control speed and pull.
However some harnesses do not have much movement in them so this is more
difficult.  After trying to control the pull with the harness handle
movements was not successful, a  trainer suggested that as soon as I felt
the pull getting too hard I suddenly stop and drop the harness while pulling
back on the leash.  As the dog continued to move forward they end up
correcting themselves.  Once the dog reaches the end of the leash then you
call them back to your side and maybe even do some quick obedience to get
the dog's attention.  Then pick up the harness again.  He also suggested
turning around as Julie described.  For some handlers turning around causes
them to lose their sense of direction so facing forward is best for them.
You have to repeat this every time the
dog pulls too hard.  The problem is is that sometimes you are in a hurry and
do not have time so you let the dog get away with the pull for that trip.
This sends confusing messages to your dog.  It takes a lot of training walks
just for this purpose to work on getting your dog not to pull so hard.  I
also did what Julie suggested and hold the leash very short and pull back
and forth with the handle so the taught leash causes the dog to correct
themselves if they continue to put their head down and really lean their
chest into pulling.  Julie's method of raising the handle a bit also works.
A trainer told me that getting a dog not to walk too fast or not to pull too
hard is difficult and takes a lot of consistent work.  Sometimes as the dog
gets older they will slow down and not pull so hard. Unfortunately sometimes
it is just a bad match and the dog is just too fast and pulls too hard for
their handler.  I have had guide dogs for over fourty years and spent the
first ten years with very hard pullers.  It took me a long time to finally
convince trainers that I needed a dog with a very light pull.  Good luck to
anyone trying to solve this problem.

Sandra and Eva