[NAGDU] An update on my retired guide, Pascal.

Sharonda Greenlaw sbgreenlaw at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 04:32:27 UTC 2016

Deanna,
It's Sharonda and I have a pet dog named Puddun. She is a 6-yr-old
female Pitbull. Starting in April, we noticed that she was having
trouble walking. This was truly odd for her, seeing that she was the
life of the party at any dog park or at doggie daycare. I took her to
one vet and they could find nothing wrong with her hips after
manipulating them for a while. However, my intuition told me that
there was indeed something wrong, so I took her somewhere else for a
second opinion. This particular vet took her out walking around the
grounds and immediately saw her knee popping out and told us that she
had a torn ACL. She was scheduled for surgery at once.

By May, she had torn her other ACL. So on May 25, she had them both
operated on. This meant she was unable to walk at all. Yes for the
first night, she whimpered and moaned; she inched closer to me and
slept right under me like I was her doggy mom. It is true that for the
first few weeks, she had a strict regimen of pills that she had to
take. the casts came off next, but she still was quite unsteady and
needed to be lifted and carried. Later on, as the number of pills
dwindled, she was given a shot that we administered three times a
week. This was to help her joints get stronger. From what I can
remember, within three months, she was doing short walks only, but she
was happy about that. Her bones were growing well within the
structures and everything. Unfortunately, she had a setback in early
September so we've had to take a tad bit longer than normal. But now,
our girl is walking and gliding normally. She goes to the dog parks
every once in a while and loves them. She still plays with other dogs,
but sometimes, you'll catch her resting.

A few things that we've done to help Miss Puddun:
1. We bought a product called The Missing Link Ultimate Hip, Joint &
Coat Dog Supplement from Amazon for $20.99. The link is:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000SSN04M/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2. We have also given her 1 tsp turmeric,  and 1 tsp flaxseed along
with her food.

I think we are friends on Facebook, so if you have any other
questions, please feel free to ask. As someone else said in a prior
email, the process is slow, but recovery is sure! Here's to Pascal's
health!

Sharonda

--
Sharonda Greenlaw