[NAGDU] Treating What Could be Separation Anxiety

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Tue Oct 4 18:34:26 UTC 2016

It might help to put the crate in a place where the dog can't see or hear
the handler.  Music or some sort of background noise, like the talk radio
idea, can help cover up noises the dog may be reacting to.

Sometimes putting a cover over the crate can help.  This is more useful with
the wire style crates.  Some dogs settle better in a den like environment.
Warnings with the cover...be sure the dog can't chew it or pull it inside
the crate.  Be sure it won't make the dog too hot or limit air circulation
too much.

Ideally using the crate for short amounts of time and working up slowly to
hours would be ideal.  It doesn't sound like that is possible though.  You
could also try using a phone to talk to the dog.  Don't laugh just yet.  So
you need two phones, one near the dog and one for yourself.  If the dog
begins to be agitated or bark, you can talk to the dog, giving praise or
verbal reprimands as the situation warrants.  this is only going to work
with a dog who responds well to verbal coaching.  It would be fairly easy to
set up though and perhaps worth a try.

There are lots of products on the market that are supposed to help with
anxiety.  I've tried some of them and they do work, to a limited degree.  In
this situation I think music is the most likely to help.  You can purchase
music that is specific to calming dogs, or claims too anyway.  It's called
Through a Dog's Ear by Lisa Spector.  I have some of the CD's and they do
work, although I haven't compared them for effectiveness against just your
basic classical music station.

I hope something in there is helpful.  Good luck!
Julie
New lowered price on my book:
Courage to Dare: A Blind Woman's Quest to Train her Own Guide Dog
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QXZSMOC