[NAGDU] Treating What Could be Separation Anxiety

S L Johnson SLJohnson25 at comcast.net
Tue Oct 4 21:10:43 UTC 2016

Hello Joe:

First I would never take a job where my dog would not be able to be with me.
furthermore, some dogs just hate a crate.  I personally do not use them
because I think they are a form of cruel punishment.  No dog deserves to be
stuffed into a crate.  You should consider using a tie-down where the dog
would still be able to see you and be safely out of the way.  This can be
achieved by wrapping the tie-down around the leg of something that cannot be
moved.  Otherwise, screw an eye-bolt into the baseboard or wall, be sure it
is not just dry wall but the stud.  I have done this at work and found it to
work quite well.  The dog is restrained but is still able to see you and lye
comfortably on a rug, blanket or bed while you go about doing your work.  A
guide dog is naturally trained to stay with the handler.  Therefore you can
expect the dog to be very upset when separated.  If you insist on allowing
yourself to be separated from your dog, you must start slow and gradual.
Leave the dog for just a few minutes but stay within the area so you can
hear the dog's reaction to being left.  Hopefully the dog will respond to a
verbal reprimand to be quiet.  As the dog remains quiet, then gradually
increase the length of time until you reach your desired length of time left
alone.  Sometimes it helps to let the dog have a favorite rug or blanket as
well as a favorite bone and cuddly toy.

Sandra and Eva