[NAGDU] National Federation of the Blind Invites you to "Meet the blind"!

NAGDU President blind411 at verizon.net
Fri Oct 14 15:54:12 UTC 2016

Dear All,

                I wanted to share with you what we are doing in Tampa,
Florida to celebrate "Meet the Blind Month"! I hope you enjoy the little
audio project I have created!

Fraternally yours,

Marion Gwizdala

                The following release contains the most current, up-to-date
information about the event previously disseminated, including a
proclamation by the Hillsborough Board of County Commissioners and
participation by theHillsboroughCounty Supervisor of Elections. Also
attached to this message is a 60-second audio announcement about Florida's
White Cane law. Please feel free to circulate this message and information
as widely as appropriate. If this message was received without the
attachment, please send an email request to

Blind411 at verizon.net

NEWS RELEASE

For immediate Use

FROM: National Federation of the Blind of Florida

Original Release Date: September 13, 2016

Current Release Date: October 14, 2016

TO: All Media

RE: Meet the Blind

CONTACT: Merry Schoch, LCSW

                     (813) 625-1850

                     merrys at verizon.net

NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND INVITES YOU TO MEET THE BLIND

Would you like to use a voting booth made accessible to the blind? Have you
ever wondered how blind people read Braille? Would you like to watch a blind
person put a guide dog through its paces? Have you ever wondered how blind
people do home repairs, run an office, manage money, or perform a variety of
activities of daily living? Are you a blind person who would like to meet
other blind people living full, productive lives? The National Federation of
the Blind of Florida would like you to "Meet the Blind" and get to know us!

                The Hillsborough Board of County Commissioners has
proclaimed October 15 as "Meet the blind Day" and members of the Tampa Bay
Chapter of the National Federation of the Blind of Florida are celebrating!
On Saturday, October 15 from 11:00 a.m. until 2:00 p.m., the Tampa Bay
chapter of the National Federation of the Blind of Florida will host "Meet
the blind" at East Tampa Christian Church. Demonstrating an array of tools
and techniques such as the reading of a children's story in Braille, the use
of adaptive carpentry tools, Demonstrations of NFB-NewslineR - our
Newspapers for the blind, our KNFB Reader that converts print to speech, the
use of the long white cane and guide dogs, and Talking computers, blind
members of the NFB will share how they accomplish everyday tasks to live the
lives they want. In addition, the Hillsborough County Supervisor of
Elections will be on-hand to register voters and demonstrate an accessible
voting booth where participants will vote on whether they want mustard or
mayonnaise on their sandwich, Hillsborough Area Regional Transit (HART) will
help disabled individuals register for HART Plus - their para transit
service, vendors will be on hand with low and high tech solutions to vision
loss, and guide dog puppy raisers will share how they prepare their dogs to
guide the blind. This event will be fun for all ages with interactive
nonvisual activities. East Tampa Christian Church is located at 7824 24th
Ave. S., just north of Causeway Blvd. off 78th Street South. Food and drinks
prepared by blind cooks will also be available. For more information, please
call Merry Schoch at 813-625-1850 or email her at <merrys at verizon.net>.

                The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is
not the characteristic that defines you or your future. Every day we raise
expectations because low expectations create barriers between blind people
and our dreams. You can live the life you want! Blindness is not what holds
you back. For more information about the National Federation of the Blind,
please visit www.nfb.org.

# # #

If you come..

What: National Federation of the Blind's Meet the Blind

When: Saturday, October 15, 2016

             11:00 a.m. until 2:00 p.m.

Where: East Tampa Christian Church

                7825 24th Street, S.

                (Just north of Causeway Blvd. on 78th Street)

For more information, please contact Merry Schoch at 813-625-1850 or
merrys at verizon.net

        The National Federation of the Blind is the oldest and largest
organization of the blind in the United States. The NFB knows that blindness
is not the characteristic that defines you or your future. Every day we
raise the expectations of blind people because low expectations are the
obstacles between blind people and our dreams. You can live the life you
want! Blindness is not what holds you back. The Federation provides
scholarships to blind students; support for those who are blind or losing
their eyesight; advocacy for the blind facing discrimination; and
educational programs for the general public on topics of blindness. The NFB
is not an organization that speaks on behalf of the blind; we are the blind
speaking for ourselves.