[NAGDU] Staying together

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Thu Sep 1 12:22:36 UTC 2016

My husband Jerry uses a cane, and I of course use a guide dog.  My husband
has lost a lot of vision, and we are having trouble staying together when
passing through big, open spaces, like fancy hotel lobbies or the bus
terminal.  Either Krokus gets into a groove and Jerry can't keep up, or
Krokus starts screwing around and Jerry goes off ahead.  Sometimes I grab
Jerry's hand and pull him along, or we start calling loudly to each other.
Neither one feels very dignified.

Do people have methods that work to keep a cane user and a dog user in
contact?  I've heard some people wear a bell, but does that really work, in
an open, noisy environment?

I'd like to figure out something that works, and doesn't make us both feel
ridiculous.

Tracy