[NAGDU] Staying together

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Thu Sep 1 14:55:56 UTC 2016

Tracy,

I was going to suggest a bungie cord, but maybe not. /lol/ I wonder if
you could do some work with Krokus to teach him to clear for a second
person when your husband is going sighted guide? I've never tried such a
thing, but it might be possible. I think I would include a specific
command for the dog, at least at first, though I guess the dog can tell
if someone is holding your arm or not. Hm...

I do teach my dogs to locate people by name, specifically my husband and
the friends I go about with. So if we get separated by choice or
accident, I can generally get back to them. They can see me coming,
though, so that helps.

I'm planning to teach Loki a "walk beside" command this fall when my
friend and I start up our weekly dog walks again. Before, Loki was in
training, so we went out ahead so he could be large and in-charge and
learn to be the guide. Now it's time for some of those little
refinements, like not leaving friends in the dust in the middle of a
conversation. /lol/ It's trickier with my husband, since he has a lot of
foot pain and walks slowly and at nothing like an even pace. Loki is
still distracted when we go with him, though he's getting better. The
spouse is distracted by Loki, so I need to work on both of them. /lol/

Bells would help you track each other, but I would feel too silly
wearing bells. I've tried teaching my husband to jangle the car keys so
I can track him, since that's a more natural thing to do. If a place is
noisy and crowded, though, it's still tricky to keep track of the sound.

If you come up with a good solution, let us know.

Tami