[NAGDU] Staying together

Dan Weiner dcwein at dcwein.cnc.net
Thu Sep 1 17:58:00 UTC 2016

Yes, I'd say that's a good strategy, if I'm with a cane user I 1. do like
you do, meet at the corner, make very sure you both understand where to
meet, and that one person waits for the other, wait for example at the down
curb, then you're together cross and wait again at the down curb. I learned
to be very specific because otherwise really strange things can happen, such
as, the one person thinking we were going to wait after crossing and they
cross and I stay there forever waiting on the down curb.
2. sighted guide, because of my hearing, I can't follow a voice well, and
sometimes either I guide or even if they now what they're doing they guide
me. Not frankly an optimal solution but different situations need different
approaches. I don't like guiding someone much only because I feel like a
wishbone--smile I had one cane-using friend who just really rally pulled on
your arm when you guided him, he was rather hesitant and you practical had
to pull his butt and I felt like I'd be torn in two, interesting scenario if
I actually had been--lol  I just can't concentrate, on the other hand, you
do want o stay together.

3.  One blind buddy of mine and I worked out a system where we had whistles,
he'd whistle when when got to the corner, two whistles meant you can cross
and so on. I had a whistle too, sounds sketchy but we did work it out to be
pretty efficient.
4.  Very loud verbal contact, granted, people will look but who cares, if
it's necessary it's necessary.

I'm willing to hear other ideas as it can be a problem.

Warmest regards,

Dan the man with Parker the nut