[NAGDU] Harness Sign -- Which One?

Rachel Grider rachel.grider at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 17:33:39 UTC 2016

Hello, Lissie:

I bought the sign from GDUI. I had been told by just about everyone
that they don't work, but I figured at least it couldn't hurt, and I
was willing to try anything to decrease the number of people trying to
pet my dog. Surprisingly, I think that it has actually helped; since I
started using it, about a month ago, I have had fewer people try to
pet her and more ask me questions about her. I often hear mothers
telling their kids that my dog is working and not to pet her. I don't
know if the sign is responsible for this, but I am keeping it either
way because I think that it is at least partially responsible because
it makes her look more official.

I don't know about other harness signs, but the one I got was from
GDUI, and it is bright yellow (which reflects and stands out very
nicely against Demi's black fur); it has a picture of a hand patting a
dog's head with a red slash through it and the words "PLEASE DO NOT
PET WORKING DOG." Since sighted people seem to respond well to
pictures, I thought that would be a good idea. I also love the pouch
because I can keep Demi's gentle leader in it...

I believe that I got my sign about four days after ordering it. There
was no email confirming that it had shipped, which was frustrating,
and when I tried emailing the address on the website to ask for a
receipt, I got an email back saying that the address was no longer in
service...But I did receive it.

Yes, people still pet my dog occasionally, but there was a definite
decrease in that after getting my sign. before, I would often become a
bit anxious when going to certain places with Demi because of people
distracting her, and I definitely don't feel like that anymore. I also
love Jameyanne's suggestion of telling people it is a safety hazard to
interact with a working guide dog; it is very concise and much better
than my more long-winded explanation when people ask...

Rachel and Demi