[NAGDU] Progressive vision loss and guide dog

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Mon Sep 19 13:06:33 UTC 2016

Hi Tami.

It seems odd that people told you progressive vision loss would mess up a
guide dog.  I would think that would only happen if the person was taking a
lot of the dog's job, second-guessing, not asking the dog for initiative in
figuring things out, that kind of thing.  But, if the person followed the
dog, and only used their vision to see if the dog was goofing off, or give
directions if the dog couldn't figure out a complex situation, then the dog
shouldn't have trouble adjusting, as your guys have done.  Of course, I have
no experience with any of that, being totally blind for most of my life.

I could see a person getting impatient with a young dog trying to figure it
out, and showing them where to go.  That temptation would have to be
resisted, at least to some degree.  But I have to resist it too, some,
trying to encourage initiative in a new dog.

Tracy