[NAGDU] Corrections

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Sat Sep 24 11:32:26 UTC 2016

A new technique I've been using for the past six months or so is having
great results.   It's super simple.  At first I was using it exclusively for
my Jetta and her dog issues, but soon I realized how effective it is for
just about everything.  It's become my go to technique with both of my dogs
in just about every situation.

The basic movement is to back up a couple of steps when your dog is doing
something inappropriate.  For me it started out with fixating on other dogs,
but now I use it for pulling too hard, sniffing, general goofing off or just
plain not paying attention.  At the first instant when you notice that your
dog's attention is wandering off, you drop the harness handle, step back 2
or more steps quickly.  You call the dog to you with "come" or "here" or
whatever you use for the recall.  At first I used little tugs on the leash
while I was backing up.  I wouldn't call them corrections, they aren't
anything that strong, just little taps on the leash to help the dog
understand what you want.

Once the dog is back to me, I give a small bit of verbal praise and maybe a
pet, then I get the dog back into position, pick up the harness handle and
resume as normal.  So it's quite a bit like reworking an error with a bit of
a twist.

I think it works well because the recall is an incompatible behavior for
just about everything that is out in front of the dog.  It's also a moving
command, which is easier for a distracted dog to do than a stationary
behavior, like a sit or down.  It also removes the dog's attention from the
distraction and gets it back to you better than any other technique I've
tried.  If you stop and have the dog sit, they can still look off into
space, stare at the dropped donut or air scent.  However when you ask the
dog to come to you, the attention is solidly back on you.

If the dog is really not paying attention to you, it's probably that when
you step back, the dog will give herself a correction, but you are not
actually popping the leash.  It becomes up to the dog whether or not they
pay attention, stay with you and avoid the correction.  Now for the past
couple of months of using this technique usually my dogs are right with me
as soon as I begin this technique and the leash isn't going tight.  If you
use an incredibly short leash you might not get to this place though.

Also you need to be extremely aware of where you are in relation to streets,
curbs, holes, drop offs, stairs etc.  Don't back up into unknown space, but
for general walking down the sidewalk, I love this technique!

Good luck!
Julie
New lowered price on my book:
Courage to Dare: A Blind Woman's Quest to Train her Own Guide Dog
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QXZSMOC