[NAGDU] Distractions

Rachel Grider rachel.grider at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 23:45:35 UTC 2016

Hi, Guys:

My computer is being annoying and not letting me reply to a thread
right now, so I am starting a new one...

Thank you for all your advice. Things have been going much better over
the last couple days. I have been more proactive about catching Demi
right as she is starting to sniff something, and she seems to be much
more focused as a result. I tried something a little different today:
I think that it was Julie who suggested backing up with your dog when
you are faced with a distraction and then reworking that spot-I did a
sort of modified version of that. When Demi stopped to sniff a pole in
the middle of the sidewalk today, I gave her a leash correction, and
because she still seemed to want to check out that pole, I backed up
and had her come and sit, then I praised her (a mini obedience
session), then I had her go forward again and we passed that pole with
no problems. What's more, she did not show any desire to sniff any
other poles for the rest of the route. I performed this same exercise
for a bush distraction later in the route, and it worked equally as
well.

Also, on Saturday, Demi and I attended an event about which I had been
more than a little anxious because I knew that there would be other
guide dogs at the event, and Demi has lately been more prone to dog
distractions while in harness. We happened to be sitting at a table
with another guide dog handler right next to me, and, though the other
dog was literally hip-to-hip with Demi and often shifted around, Demi
stayed totally focused, even when another dog and handler walked past
us so closely that the other dog was practically touching Demi. When I
was working her at this event, she behaved just as well, even when we
passed a guide dog that was trying to sniff her. I was (and still am)
very proud of her and glad that our work together seems to be
improving.

Maybe this destraction phase is merely a result of the season change,
but either way, I think that we are working it out. :)

Cheers!

Rachel